Are progressives ready to make more progress?

May 2014
USA
The Acts of the Apostles tells us:

Acts 2
44 And all that believed were together, and had all things common;
45 And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all [men], as every man had need.
46 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,
47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.
and
Acts 4
32 And the multitude of them that believed were of one heart and of one soul: neither said any [of them] that ought of the things which he possessed was his own; but they had all things common.
33 And with great power gave the apostles witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus: and great grace was upon them all.
34 Neither was there any among them that lacked: for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the prices of the things that were sold,
35 And laid [them] down at the apostles' feet: and distribution was made unto every man according as he had need.
36 And Joses, who by the apostles was surnamed Barnabas, (which is, being interpreted, The son of consolation,) a Levite, [and] of the country of Cyprus,
37 Having land, sold [it], and brought the money, and laid [it] at the apostles' feet.
And so it would appear that even the catholic church, once credited in part for destroying communism in Europe, has finally come to embrace the very tenet of Christian Communism in electing Pope Francis. He has stated that people have called him Marxist and while he is not a Marxist he does not consider that an insult. And that he knows many fine Marxists.

But how can this be? Easy. There is such a thing as Christian Communism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_communism

And it fits Pope Francis like a glove. The difference between Marxists and the Pope is atheism. Aside from that it is a distinction without a difference. Pope Francis has been credited with destroying Liberation Theology in Latin America but upon closer inspection we find his motivation is not because LT is communist but because the proponents used violent methods to promote Liberation Theology which is NOT a Christian thing to do. Ask any theologian worth their salt and they will tell you the Old Testament is very different from the New Testament. And the OT is "harsh" because of the hardness of hearts of the OT Jews. The NT is different in that the ancient Jews evolved towards a higher, better place. Antiquated notions like private property had become a thing of the past even for the apostles. And so it's time we learn from their example.

And we have learned!

And we have made progress! Our own president Obama has been "accused" of advocating Liberation Theology in attending Rev. Wright's sermons.

And again we have learned! We have made progress!

And none of this is dependent upon a person's religion. You can be an atheist and the president AND the Pope would embrace you. That's the way it should be.

And so perhaps by surprise, we find ourselves evolving towards a kind of communism--a NEW kind of communism. One that is not of Lenin, Stalin, Mao, or Castro who were wrong not in their (communist) platforms but in their (violent) methods. This new communism has taken decades, over a century, to create. But this new communism is who we are! It is who we were meant to be!

To not move forward is to die. The root of "Progressive" is "progress." And so we have seen the way forward. Is it really that shocking? Really that frightening? I think not. To be sure, you must be brave to make this kind of progress. You will be assailed from all angles from those who prefer the antiquated notions, the outdated--the conservatives. But realize this is only temporary because they too will come around. And history is on your side.

May 2014
USA
54 views and not one comment?

Is this all passe? Old news? Am I the Johnny Come Lately around here?

Any thoughts at all? Communism has always been good in theory. Isn't it time we actually put the good part of that theory to work?

Jan 2014
south

Any thoughts at all? Communism has always been good in theory. Isn't it time we actually put the good part of that theory to work?
any proper government is made up from good ideas from many sources and modified to suit the needs of a country. well, at least, any government which lasts.

StanStill

Former Staff
Dec 2013
Work

Put to work how? It's unclear what you are proposing, or even what you mean by "communism". Which is not to say I disagree (maybe, but can't be certain).

Nov 2015
Cyberia
No one wants to be common. We all believe we are special. I could never work for a company that required me to wear a uniform or follow procedure.

Nov 2015
Cyberia
been there all my life. it grows on some more easily than others.
Way back in the '90s I made the effort to be part of the mainstream but it didn't fit me. I still get a chuckle from those that hang out around the watercooler complaining about those of us who were working.