Are the Hong Kong protests more serious than the US-China trade war?

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
I wouldn't have thought this was even a question.

Not only for markets. Quite a few of those protesters are going to die. They're going to be tortured and killed. Dozens or even hundreds of them will be ruined. For life.

And they KNOW this.
I keep hearing that thousands of Canadian citizens and permanent residents from HK will be returning to Richmond and Vancouver in near future.

Jan 2016
Colorado
That seems...... Odd.

Is that for real?
I haven't seen confirmation of those claims, myself, but neither would surprise me. Back in 1989, in the lead up to the awful Tiananmen Square Massacre, some Chinese students were marching in Beijing with miniature replicas of the Statue of Liberty. Which helps to explain why Deng and the other Chinese leaders of that time were so ALARMED by the whole protest movement, and tended to see it as being INSPIRED by America...…..

Jul 2018
North Carolina
I wouldn't have thought this was even a question.

Not only for markets. Quite a few of those protesters are going to die. They're going to be tortured and killed. Dozens or even hundreds of them will be ruined. For life.

And they KNOW this.

Yeah this was what I was thinking also. Back in 89 about 10K of those good folks died in the protest in Tiananmen Square, so yeah most definitely those good Taiwanese people must suspect, or even know what could be possibly coming.

I also looked at how many foreigners are in Taiwan, and TBH it surprised me.

Foreign residents in Taiwan
Demographics of Taiwan - Wikipedia

IF some of these good folks are harmed / or worse then it's gonna be a nightmare for China I think.

Aug 2018
Vancouver
I keep hearing that thousands of Canadian citizens and permanent residents from HK will be returning to Richmond and Vancouver in near future.
Yup. All with way, way more money than locals. So the highest housing prices on fucking earth will go higher and higher and higher and higher.

I don't want to be the kind of person that wishes disaster on others, but there's a small mean part of me that wants China to seize all Hong Kong assets before the poor fuckers have a chance to relocate their millions here - all in vacant investment housing while tens of thousands here raise kids in two-bedroom apartments.

Aug 2018
Vancouver
Airports shut down again today. Rumors are circulating that they want the Chinese army to come in. They appear to be looking for conflict.
Yeah. And evidently that was the reason for the western flags and the colonial era flag and slogans. Waving the stars and stripes etc. They think there best bet is to provoke violence so the international community steps in.

If they think for a nanosecond the international community will step in against China, they're wrong.

Those days are GONE.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Yeah. And evidently that was the reason for the western flags and the colonial era flag and slogans. Waving the stars and stripes etc. They think there best bet is to provoke violence so the international community steps in.

If they think for a nanosecond the international community will step in against China, they're wrong.

Those days are GONE.
I wonder if some arent willing to go the distance to bring about change? They seem to be very unhappy. This could easily become a new revolution as mainland isnt doing as well either. If its contagious we are going to have something big on our hands. Of course Trump will say "I made it happen!" lol

Oct 2009
Kansas
Getting a bit more violent today as protesters are now fighting with police.
They don't have an option. The police are deliberately employing less-lethal firearms at point-blank range. Peaceful protest can't overcome that, it's not dogs, it's not firehoses, it's not tear gas, it's deadly force against people trying to defend their rights. China is going to have to put this down now with military force and it will be ugly.

It's just so fucking stupid. They know Hong Kong has been restive. So they try to ram through this extradition law???