Are the Hong Kong protests more serious than the US-China trade war?

Singularity

Oct 2009
Kansas
I wonder if some arent willing to go the distance to bring about change? They seem to be very unhappy. This could easily become a new revolution as mainland isnt doing as well either. If its contagious we are going to have something big on our hands. Of course Trump will say "I made it happen!" lol
Thus far, when Trump has been prompted, he's taken Xi's side.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
They don't have an option. The police are deliberately employing less-lethal firearms at point-blank range. Peaceful protest can't overcome that, it's not dogs, it's not firehoses, it's not tear gas, it's deadly force against people trying to defend their rights. China is going to have to put this down now with military force and it will be ugly.

It's just so fucking stupid. They know Hong Kong has been restive. So they try to ram through this extradition law???
This was predicted to happen years ago when Hong Kong returned to China. Many felt they eventually would break and revolt. I do think this generation has had enough. They lived a fairly well off decent life and now they want more. China wont give in. We could be looking at history being made.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Thus far, when Trump has been prompted, he's taken Xi's side.
True but thats because of his tariffs. Kissing his ass. If this brings down China, he wont need to take a side he will just claim victory since tariffs will be the last thing on Chinas mind.

Singularity

Oct 2009
Kansas
This was predicted to happen years ago when Hong Kong returned to China. Many felt they eventually would break and revolt. I do think this generation has had enough. They lived a fairly well off decent life and now they want more. China wont give in. We could be looking at history being made.
They wouldn't have revolted if China had just kept its promises. It's a nation run by corrupt fiends, liars and apparatchik despots.

I'm mad at Trump for the idiocy of his means of confronting these people after he gave them a huge gift on TPP, not for the fact that he's confronting them.

Singularity

Oct 2009
Kansas
True but thats because of his tariffs. Kissing his ass. If this brings down China, he wont need to take a side he will just claim victory since tariffs will be the last thing on Chinas mind.
I don't see this causing any serious reform in the rest of China. It's just too embedded. Hong Kong yes, China no. Not now.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I don't see this causing any serious reform in the rest of China. It's just too embedded. Hong Kong yes, China no. Not now.
That will depend on their economy. If it stays well they wont revolt. But if mainland gets problematic we could. I saw a news piece that was showing the new middle class in Beijing are now facing layoffs at companies and such. They dont understand it and are angry.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
They wouldn't have revolted if China had just kept its promises. It's a nation run by corrupt fiends, liars and apparatchik despots.

I'm mad at Trump for the idiocy of his means of confronting these people after he gave them a huge gift on TPP, not for the fact that he's confronting them.
China is still China despite those who claim they are different now. Just saw Xi is now calling them "terrorists."

Reactions: The Man

Singularity

Oct 2009
Kansas
That will depend on their economy. If it stays well they wont revolt. But if mainland gets problematic we could. I saw a news piece that was showing the new middle class in Beijing are now facing layoffs at companies and such. They dont understand it and are angry.
The difference is people in Hong Kong are exposed to the international media environment, and are largely beyond Beijing's control of information and culture. That's why Beijing is so afraid of them. It's not afraid of the rest of the people, who do evade the censors and do have access to the outside world, but not on a societal level. All of the reporting of the concentration camps in Xinjiang Province, the barbarities being inflicted on China's Muslims, people generally don't know about that. Similarly, when the 30th anniversary of Tiananmen Square passed, it was commonly reported that people in the Mainland didn't even know about it or what it represented.

Imagine if Trump could actively censor other forms of media and make most people watch Fox News and follow Fox News online. That's mainland China.