Are the Hong Kong protests more serious than the US-China trade war?

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
China and Russia are both claiming a US hand behind both the Hong Kong and Moscow recent protests, of course: Russia, China to Discuss ‘U.S. Meddling’ in Moscow and Hong Kong Protests - The Moscow Times

lol
News just was talking to a protester and they said "the world is changing and we want to as well." The guy then cited Trump, Brexit and AfD in Germany as "winds are changing." It sounds like they might want independence. Its going to get much worse it looks.

Jul 2011
Toronto
Yeah it's definitely got nothing to do with the completely helpless people we fuckin' shot
Or Putin's Rosgvardia thugs breaking people's limbs are smashing heads open, including that of a Moscow city councilwoman

Simply for daring to demand free elections for municipal government...

Those two regimes are worthy of one another, Putin & Xi

Jul 2019
Toronto
Thoughts? It certainly could have huge global implications..

Global investors should be more concerned about the fallout from anti-government protests in Hong Kong than the U.S.-China trade war, CNBC’s Jim Cramer said Monday, hours after the city’s main airport canceled all flights do to demonstrations.

“I just don’t think the Chinese communists can avoid it anymore,” Cramer said. “The Chinese government is more worried about Hong Kong than they’re worried about trade. Because Hong Kong is something that’s very visible in Europe.”

“This is more serious than the trade talks,” he added. “If you want to know what could tip you into a worldwide recession, it is just a shutdown of Hong Kong,” a major financial hub in Asia.

Demonstrations, which have morphed into a democracy movement, ramped up on Monday, with about 5,000 protesters flooding Hong Kong International Airport, one of the world’s busiest, and leading officials there to cancel flightsfor the rest of the day.

Its predicted the Chinese government to bring in the People’s Liberation Army to quell the crowds, which would have global implications.

Cramer: Hong Kong protests 'more serious' than US-China trade war for global markets
Hong Kong is a mess right now. Between this and the constant threat of "The Wrath of Trump"...China has its hands full.
Can they be losing their grip on all Chinese? Or just the island? Dictatorial governments tend to frown on this sort of public mischief.
Interesting times indeed...

Jan 2019
southeast
News just was talking to a protester and they said "the world is changing and we want to as well." The guy then cited Trump, Brexit and AfD in Germany as "winds are changing." It sounds like they might want independence. Its going to get much worse it looks.
You can hardly blame them. They enjoyed great freedom and their fear is losing it.

HCProf

Council Hall
Sep 2014
USA
CNN is showing an apparent journalist that has been beaten up by the protesters.
I was watching the protests this morning and this is not going to end well. China is the wrong Country to up rise. I am surprised it has gone on this long. Even in the US, if protesters in those numbers took over our busiest airports....we may even see "Kent State" all over again.

Something bad is going to happen there.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I was watching the protests this morning and this is not going to end well. China is the wrong Country to up rise. I am surprised it has gone on this long. Even in the US, if protesters in those numbers took over our busiest airports....we may even see "Kent State" all over again.

Something bad is going to happen there.
I keep saying the world is on fire. Lots of elections this fall we will see how they go..

Jul 2011
Toronto