Arizona Sen. Martha McSally says she was raped by a superior officer while serving in the Air Force

Dec 2018
Florida
Again, women do not report if it involves powerful men - like the ones the work for.

Westein had a whole campaign against the women who came out over the years. Finally, it got traction

They will ruin women's lives in a heartbeat. Look at Dr. Ford, for example, had to move because of death threats.
I always wonder about that. And there are other factors of course. The presence of alcohol and drugs makes it difficult for a victim to identify the culprit as well. And in Ford’s case? Her reports struck many as purely political. Especially given the lack of any additional evidence.

There are things we need to work on as a society. And gathering prosecutable evidence is one.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
The presence of alcohol and drugs makes it difficult for a victim to identify the culprit as well.
Not if the culprit is already known to the victim, which is the case most of the time.
There are things we need to work on as a society. And gathering prosecutable evidence is one.
Sworn testimony is prosecutable evidence. See People v. Burks, 245 N.E.2d 120, 105 Ill.App.2d 112 (Ill. App. 1 Dist., 1969).

Attachments

Nov 2016
USA
Who knows. I’m sure she has her reasons.
I imagine there would have been repercussions if she had reported it when she was still on active duty and if the assailant had been a superior officer (which I suspect is likely). Now, I’m not so sure what her reasons might be.

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
I imagine there would have been repercussions if she had reported it when she was still on active duty and if the assailant had been a superior officer (which I suspect is likely). Now, I’m not so sure what her reasons might be.
she's trying to move on seems like. At some point it's my understanding that talking publicly about the assault is part of the healing process. Going this public as a member of Congress has to be very intimidating. She may tell who it was in private. But, even then, it's still likely to bring up bad memories. We don't know how much power or influence the person still has.

Trauma of this sort is a tricky thing

Jul 2016
BAN THE TROLL!!!!
Was her superior male or female? Most rapes in military are homosexual.
She’s not gay although that has nothing to do with it but I question your statement that “most rapes in the military are homosexual “.

Anything to back that up?

Jul 2016
BAN THE TROLL!!!!
Was her superior male or female? Most rapes in military are homosexual.
She’s not gay although that has nothing to do with it but I question your statement that “most rapes in the military are homosexual “.

Anything to back that up?
Apparently it’s not true.

Initial Results from Major Survey of Sexual Assault, Sexual Harassment

RAND Researchers Estimate That, as of Early Fall of 2014, Approximately 20,000 of the U.S. Military's 1.3 Million Active-Duty Members Experienced One or More Sexual Assaults in the Past Year
  • This figure includes assaults by other service members, civilians, spouses or others.
  • It represents 4.9 percent of active-duty women and 1 percent of active-duty men.

Jan 2016
Colorado
See the thread title. She has SPECIFIED that it WAS a superior officer. But today, SHE is a sitting U.S. Senator. IF she revealed the name of her rapist today, wherever that man is, whatever career he has, that would come to a screeching halt. He would immediately come under intense public opprobrium. Like it or not, her testimony would be regarded as more credible than that of Professor Ford, and for several reasons. Senator McSally could still obtain justice for the assault she says she was subjected to, if that is what she wants. I would THINK that she would want it.