Arizona's McSally "pink tutu" ad hammers Krysten Sinema

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
They havent even had their primary yet!

Arizona Senate hopeful Martha McSally hasn’t locked up the GOP nomination just yet — but she’s turning to the general election with a searing new TV ad hammering Democratic candidate Kyrsten Sinema for “protesting us in a pink tutu” rather than serving in the military after 9/11.

“While we were in harm’s way in uniform, Kyrsten Sinema was protesting us in a pink tutu and denigrating our service,” McSally says in the commercial, which includes footage of Sinema in a pink outfit. The ad, which is being released on Thursday, is designed to contrast the two candidates on national security. It highlights McSally’s military record, and in it McSally notes that she “led air strikes against the Taliban and was the first woman to fly a fighter jet in combat.”

The new spot comes ahead of the Aug. 28 GOP primary, when McSally faces former state Sen. Kelli Ward and former Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio. While the primary has been a bruising one, polls show McSally with a lead.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/08/23/martha-mcsally-kyrsten-sinema-attack-ad-794337

Nov 2010
I'm so sick of military people thinking they are somehow better or more American because they served. in the end many are just a pawns for politicians and corporations so they can make millions off the blood shed.

Working in law enforcement or federal agencies in this country does more to actually protect this country than killing people half way across the world

by the way, the people protesting the war were right, these wars have been a complete disaster that just drained the treasury and made this country look like monsters

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I'm so sick of military people thinking they are somehow better or more American because they served. in the end many are just a pawns for politicians and corporations so they can make millions off the blood shed.

Working in law enforcement or federal agencies in this country does more to actually protect this country than killing people half way across the world

by the way, the people protesting the war were right, these wars have been a complete disaster that just drained the treasury and made this country look like monsters
Maybe but Arizona is home to John McCain. He is reported to be going to endorse McSally if she wins the primary. I do think it will have a big effect there.

Singularity

Former Staff
Oct 2009
Kansas
All due respect to McSally, but there's really nothing more disgusting in politics than people who smear doves with "you're protesting the troops."

Fortunately, I've little doubt it will not be effective. People know the Iraq War was a mistake, and Afghanistan was poorly handled. They know that opposition to the wars has no bearing on respect for or lack thereof members of the military. Suggestions otherwise are rotten bullshit, then and now.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
All due respect to McSally, but there's really nothing more disgusting in politics than people who smear doves with "you're protesting the troops."

Fortunately, I've little doubt it will not be effective. People know the Iraq War was a mistake, and Afghanistan was poorly handled. They know that opposition to the wars has no bearing on respect for or lack thereof members of the military. Suggestions otherwise are rotten bullshit, then and now.
Agree but I do think the idea here is to show Sinema isnt the blue dog she claims she is. There is another ad running where she says bad things about border patrol as well. Its part of a deliberate attempt to show her as a far leftie. Not sure it will work.

Singularity

Former Staff
Oct 2009
Kansas
Agree but I do think the idea here is to show Sinema isnt the blue dog she claims she is. There is another ad running where she says bad things about border patrol as well. Its part of a deliberate attempt to show her as a far leftie. Not sure it will work.
I don't really get the strategy honestly. If the Democrats take Congress in whole or in part this year, it will be with voters who are fed up with Trump across the political spectrum and want someone to restrain him. The people who care first about culture wars are already had, this kind of campaigning might motivate them to turn out more, but they won't decide the election. Running to the right in all but the reddest state is strategic folly. In Alabama, the reddest of the red where it should be the most potent option, it also failed.