"Armada" vs. "Armata"

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
There is a great rivalry developing in the sphere of modernizing Russia's tank forces.

Many of you have heard of the "amazing new Russian battle tank" T-14 "Armata"

Supposed to be the ultimate Russian tank, ever.

Yet it has a rival: T-90 AM (MS is export version), AM is acronym for "Armada"; the most badass T-90 ever designed

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-90#Variants

Both are from same factory, "Uralvagonzavod", brothers, if you will.

Armata is a bit bigger and heavier than the T-90 platform

We shall see who prevails in this internal race.

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
Armada is the less expensive option, an upgrade kit for the T-90.

The T-14 Armata is probably the first Russia tank that puts quality over quantity. It's a revolutionary new design from the ground up, very expensive and still riddled with bugs at this early stage of its development.

I think its a good design.. high crew survive-ability by placing the 3 man crew in the hull, altho the reliability of that unmanned turret with lots of electronic/automated systems is yet to be determined. Also visibility is hampered by not having the commander up top (especially from a hull down position), but I suppose high tech periscopes on top of the turret can compensate for that.

Weird tho that the tank commander's hatch swings up which gets in the way of the turret rotating, unlike the the driver's hatch which pivots sideways out of the turret's way (see pic below). Not sure the logic behind that tc's hatch.. perhaps one of those design bugs that needs to be fixed.

Last edited:
Jul 2014
midwest
That would depend on who controls the air space and anti-air coverage for the ground forces. A-10 is a subsonic aircraft so makes for an easy target.
That depends on many factors...

How low is he?

How fast?

What countermeasures are being used?

What's he going up against?

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Wonder how many of those things an A-10 could kill in a single pass?
You are starting to repeat yourself, man lol

You asked the same exact question in my thread about the Msta-S self-propelled howitzer :)

Only thing I can answer is, you do realize the Russians, unlike some Arab villagers America is used to fighting, can actually knock your A-10 out of the sky, right?

They also have plenty of sophisticated tools at their disposal. Just as sophisticated as yours. Putin has spent billions and billions, even starving poor pensioners, to rearm and rebuild and upgrade the military in recent years. And they still got some cool old stuff also left over from the Soviet Union...

You Americans have grown far, far too arrogant for own good. Underestimating all your opponents.

Hell, you thought al Qaeda were just a bunch of whackjobs in Afghanistan, right? And then September 11th, 2001 happened...

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Armada is the less expensive option, an upgrade for the T-90.

The T-14 Armata is probably the first Russia tank that puts quality over quantity. It's a revolutionary new design from the ground up, very expensive and still riddled with bugs at this early stage in its development.

I think its a good design.. high crew survive-ability by placing the 3 man crew in the hull, altho the reliability of that unmanned turret with lots of electronic/automated systems is yet to be determined. Also visibility is hampered by not having the commander up top (especially from a hull down position), but I suppose high tech periscopes on top of the turret can compensate for that.

Weird tho that the tank commander's hatch swings up which gets in the way of the turret rotating, unlike the the driver's hatch which pivots sideways out of the turret's way (see pic below). Not sure the logic behind that tc's hatch.. perhaps one of those design bugs that needs to be fixed.

I've wondered about that myself, the hatches.

Ventilation actually has been a design flaw issue on Soviet and Russian tanks going back to at least the T-62. They often had problems getting the smoke from the cannon, when it fires, out of the cabin. It just accumulates, to the point that could suffocate the crew, if they don't drive around with all hatches open, even up in the Arctic, in way sub zero temps lol

Supposedly, they solved this, finally, in late model T-90s and Armatas...

One can but hope, for the poor crews sake lol

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
Nice!

How many mpg?
Insane mileage.. T-14's powerplant is a gas turbine similar to the M1 Abrams so yeah that means a ginormous supply convoy following it anywhere it goes.

The US Army is now considering a diesel version of the Abrams because that weakness.