Artificial Intelligence Has Identified An Unknown Human Ancestor

Jan 2016
Colorado
This is fascinating stuff, showing how different fields of science are intersecting in new and unexpected ways:

Artificial intelligence applied to the genome identifies an unknown human ancestor

Summary: By combining deep learning algorithms and statistical methods, investigators have identified, in the genome of Asian individuals, the footprint of a new hominid who cross bred with its ancestors tens of thousands of years ago.

Mar 2019
California

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
No, baboons are modern creatures--and they aren't even great apes--as we are.
They are not even lesser apes, in which category there are only gibbons. Contrast the five species of great apes (chimpanzees, bonobos, gorillas, orangutans and humans). I always thought that was interesting.

Jan 2016
Colorado
No, baboons are modern creatures--and they aren't even great apes--as we are.
Yes. This is a pet peeve of mine. Baboons are monkeys. Monkeys are not apes, and apes are not monkeys. Two completely separate groups of animals.

Confusing a monkey with an ape is as bad as confusing a camel with a moose or a giraffe!

Jan 2016
Colorado
Thanks ... that is what I meant to convey.
Baboons are definitely nowhere NEARLY as intelligent as chimpanzees (or other great apes). Even though my hometown of Muscatine, Iowa, is only a medium-sized city of about 25,000, it had (and maybe still has) a zoo which rivals some big-city zoos------thanks to a wealthy philanthropist who was into zoos and who lived there in the late 1800's. I used to go there in my teens, with some of my friends, and we could buy sodas, and HAND them to the chimpanzees and baboons------no way any zoo would let you do that today! Anyway, the chimps immediately knew how to open the top-pop of a soda can. The baboons could NEVER figure it out, would get frustrated, and would invariably end up STOMPING on the cans, and then LICKING the soda off the concrete floor of their cages.

There is an enormous mental gulf between the great apes and ANY monkeys.