A's on the rise but SAT scores fall

webrockk

Former Staff
Nov 2009
on the river
How are the federal carrots and sticks applied to schools...by average GPA, SAT scores, or some combination of the two?

Rasselas

Feb 2010
USA
How are the federal carrots and sticks applied to schools...by average GPA, SAT scores, or some combination of the two?
Neither. There are no carrots and sticks associated with student achievement generally. That work is done by accrediting agencies, and schools either qualify to take financial aid or don't. Recently there's been talk of tying the eligibility to completion rates and employability after graduation. What "carrots and sticks" to you think you're talking about...specifically?

webrockk

Former Staff
Nov 2009
on the river
Neither. There are no carrots and sticks associated with student achievement generally. That work is done by accrediting agencies, and schools either qualify to take financial aid or don't. Recently there's been talk of tying the eligibility to completion rates and employability after graduation. What "carrots and sticks" to you think you're talking about...specifically?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Child_Left_Behind_Act

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Child_Left_Behind_Act#Gaming_the_system

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_to_the_Top

HCProf

Council Hall
Sep 2014
USA
If you are talking about financial aid eligibility or SAP (Satisfactory Academic Performance), it is based on having a 2.0 and maintaining 90% attendance. If a student falls below, they can lose their financial aid, which includes PELL and Loans. This is for college. For HS, as far as I can tell, funding is based on "butts in seats". Having students with disabilities will provide extra funding as well.

May 2012
By the wall
If you are talking about financial aid eligibility or SAP (Satisfactory Academic Performance), it is based on having a 2.0 and maintaining 90% attendance. If a student falls below, they can lose their financial aid, which includes PELL and Loans. This is for college. For HS, as far as I can tell, funding is based on "butts in seats". Having students with disabilities will provide extra funding as well.
Attendance wasn't one of my requirements.

Just a GPA and a certain amount of units.

In fact I rarely showed up to some classes, only to take tests.

Rasselas

Feb 2010
USA
"Butts in seats" is how K-12 schools get state funding. Schools who teach students with disabilities get extra funding from the DoE in support of federal special education laws that require schools to provide appropriate schooling for all students.

Reactions: 1 person

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
Not when the learning required is precise and mathematical in nature, I agree. But what about in disciplines where any evaluation is, by nature, subjective?
The same problem would be posed. A grade curve measures the students' performances in comparison to each other, rather than on an absolute scale. Thus, a person's grade could change depending on the performance of the others in the class with him, rather than purely on his own merit.

Rasselas

Feb 2010
USA
Attendance wasn't one of my requirements.

Just a GPA and a certain amount of units.

In fact I rarely showed up to some classes, only to take tests.
I've never been asked to report on a student's attendance, and nearly all students at my university get federal financial aid.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
Many law schools grade on a forced bell curve - i.e., X% of the class must be X grade or above, and Y% must be Y grade or below. The rest get grouped somewhere in the middle. Thus, a small number of raw points can make the difference between passing and failing (where "passing" requires a C+ or above, for example).