As Patients Struggle With Bills, Hospital Sues Thousands for unpaid bills

Devil505

Former Staff
Jan 2008
Florida

Breaking News, World News & Multimedia › health › carlsbad-hospital-lawsuits-medical-debt
Sep 2, 2019 - Most hospitals do not frequently take patients to court over medical debt. ... the only hospital to have filed reams of lawsuits over unpaid bills.

If you were juror in such a case where would your inclinations be?

Reactions: The Man

Sparta

Former Staff
Aug 2006
Connecticut

Breaking News, World News & Multimedia › health › carlsbad-hospital-lawsuits-medical-debt
Sep 2, 2019 - Most hospitals do not frequently take patients to court over medical debt. ... the only hospital to have filed reams of lawsuits over unpaid bills.

If you were juror in such a case where would your inclinations be?
I don't know, can you award a lesser amount than the bill? I'm not siding with a $32.00 aspirin, but the current system seems untenable.

Devil505

Former Staff
Jan 2008
Florida
I don't know, can you award a lesser amount than the bill? I'm not siding with a $32.00 aspirin, but the current system seems untenable.
I'm sure the lawyers for both sides would meet and negotiate a settlement b4 the case went to trial...but absent that.....and assuming the debtor is not just a known deadbeat.......I'd be inclined to side with the debtor.
Hospital prices are absurd!

Devil505

Former Staff
Jan 2008
Florida
Hospitals are closing all over. I hate this is happening but they seem to be hemorrhaging money as the insurance is not even close to what they need to remain open. We have doctors up here now refusing Medicaid because what they get paid is so little. Afraid its going to get even uglier.

Declining Access to Health Care in Northern New England
Every other industrialized nation on earth has universal HC.

Give people the right to opt for Medicare for all and let our taxes pay for hc..

Reactions: bajisima
Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Every other industrialized nation on earth has universal HC.

Give people the right to opt for Medicare for all and let our taxes pay for hc..
I agree but that still doesnt mean our hospitals and doctors would agree with the payments. Look at Vermont who tried to get UHC for the state and the doctors and hospitals helped kill it because the reimbursement rates were so low.

Sparta

Former Staff
Aug 2006
Connecticut
I agree but that still doesnt mean our hospitals and doctors would agree with the payments. Look at Vermont who tried to get UHC for the state and the doctors and hospitals helped kill it because the reimbursement rates were so low.
It's insane to privatize the front end of HC and try to socialize the back end, I'm no economist but that can't work. A doctor must have six figures in student loan debt alone, then they've got insurance to deal with and I garuntee the insurance companies make more off a doctor than he/she takes home.

Devil505

Former Staff
Jan 2008
Florida
Mandate that they must or lose their license.

Reactions: EnigmaO01