As Poll Shows Majority Back 70% Tax Rate for Ultra-Rich, Ocasio-Cortez 'Radical' Proposal Proves Extremely Mainstream

Jan 2019
Midwest
As Poll Shows Majority Back 70% Tax Rate for Ultra-Rich, Ocasio-Cortez 'Radical' Proposal Proves Extremely Mainstream

". . .
Conducted by The Hill in partnership with the market research firm HarrisX, the poll found that 59 percent of the U.S. public supports raising the marginal tax rate on the richest Americans to 70 percent. The poll also found a "surprising amount of support" for the proposal among Republicans, with 45 percent backing the idea along with 71 percent of Democrats.
"Oh? What's that? The majority of Americans respect when you break down reasonable policy proposals that are designed to combat runaway income inequality and help fund priorities they value most?" Ocasio-Cortez wrote on Twitter in response to the new survey. "We can win public sentiment, stand our ground, and not be scared by GOP [mis]information."
. . . "

The rich get more welfare than any programs we have to take care of our "least of these."

Nov 2018
Maryland
Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Dont actually find this surprising. I know some GOPers that favor taxation on the rich. Mostly the ones I work with in the construction/trade industry.

Reactions: DemoWhip and Cookie
Jan 2019
Midwest
We need to win big in 2020 and get total control of the government to enact anything other than a band aid.

Fortunately, I don't think that's going to be hard to do. The republicans have done NOTHING for 98% of Americans. Coal is dead, there's no infrastructure and they all seem to support Putin.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
We need to win big in 2020 and get total control of the government to enact anything other than a band aid.
Not sure about that. I think there are a lot of people out there, especially the young ones, who want the candidates to come out swinging. Talk about a New Deal or something big. Get the base motivated. Coming out and saying "I will fix the ACA" is pretty lame. Sure its better than what we got but as my oldest kid says "aim for the stars or go home."

Reactions: steezer
Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Fortunately, I don't think that's going to be hard to do. The republicans have done NOTHING for 98% of Americans. Coal is dead, there's no infrastructure and they all seem to support Putin.
I agree although there is concern about those working class blue collar workers. They were the heart and soul of the democratic party and they seem to be gone. They voted republican again in the midterms. How do democrats win them back? Or should they bother? Look for a new base?

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
The top 10 percent pay two-thirds of the income tax. And the bottom 50 percent — all Americans with an income below the median — pay just 3 percent of the income tax. The federal income tax, according to a recent study by the Tax Foundation, is one of the most progressive tax systems in the world.Mar 3, 2015

Do the rich pay their fair share? | The Heritage Foundation
https://www.heritage.org/budget-and-spending/.../do-the-rich-pay-their-fair-share
The top 10% have about 80% of the nation's wealth. If they're only paying 66% of the income tax, then they're not paying close to their fair share.

Nov 2018
Maryland
The top 10% have about 80% of the nation's wealth. If they're only paying 66% of the income tax, then they're not paying close to their fair share.
"Fair share" according to whom? Who is suppose to determine fair share?

And, if the wealthy were forced to pay 70% of their income, are you aware that when France tried to raise taxes on their wealthy, many of them left the country?

The wealthy have the means to leave, and if they leave, guess who is left to pay the taxes?