Assault weapons ban in Virginia meets resistance from democrats

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Some top Virginia Democratic senators are expressing reservations about plans to ban assault weapons — a key part of the new Democratic majority’s gun-control proposals and one that’s drawn fierce resistance from gun-rights advocates.

“A lot of people don’t really understand assault weapons and how complicated the issue really is,” said Democratic Sen. John Edwards. “It’s going to be very difficult to figure out a way to do it. But we’re studying it, that’s all I can say.”

He’s one of at least four moderate senators — the others are Sens. Chap Petersen, Creigh Deeds and Lynwood Lewis — who are skeptical of plans to ban assault weapons. None of them has ruled out voting for an assault weapon ban, but all have said they aren’t impressed with any of the drafts of proposed bans they’ve seen.

“I’ve not seen an enforceable bill that makes sense yet,” Deeds said.

Edwards noted the popularity and widespread availability of AR-style rifles, saying that makes debates about outlawing them difficult.

Petersen said that “on paper” he supports an assault weapons ban but said he has concerns about “details that nobody seems to have figured out yet.” Those details include like what technically constitutes an assault weapon or what to do with people who already own them.

Reactions: pragmatic
Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC
Some top Virginia Democratic senators are expressing reservations about plans to ban assault weapons — a key part of the new Democratic majority’s gun-control proposals and one that’s drawn fierce resistance from gun-rights advocates.

“A lot of people don’t really understand assault weapons and how complicated the issue really is,” said Democratic Sen. John Edwards. “It’s going to be very difficult to figure out a way to do it. But we’re studying it, that’s all I can say.”

He’s one of at least four moderate senators — the others are Sens. Chap Petersen, Creigh Deeds and Lynwood Lewis — who are skeptical of plans to ban assault weapons. None of them has ruled out voting for an assault weapon ban, but all have said they aren’t impressed with any of the drafts of proposed bans they’ve seen.

Edwards noted the popularity and widespread availability of AR-style rifles, saying that makes debates about outlawing them difficult.

Petersen said that “on paper” he supports an assault weapons ban but said he has concerns about “details that nobody seems to have figured out yet.” Those details include like what technically constitutes an assault weapon or what to do with people who already own them.

The two big questions among the Virginia legislators:

1. How is this going to effect my re-election??

2. What exactly is the definition of an "assault weapon"??

(With the heavy focus being on question #1....)

Jul 2019
Atlanta

They are the majority in West Virginia.

Reactions: llovejim
Sep 2019
dfw, texas
why do so many ignorant trump voters connect a sensible law banning goddamn assault weapons and high capacity magazines with banning all guns? are they really this paranoid, or do they just not have enough sense to play the bullshit card when the NRA and their paid whores in the GOP tell them to believe such simple minded shit? We had an assault weapon ban in place for a decade, which showed great results, and no attempts were made to ban all weapons...an assault weapon ban so sensible even reagan, ford and bush senior signed a letter supporting it. could it be the average male gun nut is so afraid of walking around in public without his penis-extender gun he will believe any NRA bullshit?

look at how damn wimpy and silly this male gun nut looks while shopping--but man, i bet the produce and frozen tv dinners in his cart feel safe!!

gun nut krogers.jpg

and here is a chart showing how effective the assault weapon ban worked

assault weapon ban works1.png

obama gun bunker.jpg