Atheist answer to the 10 Commandments: 10 Rational positions.

Czernobog

Former Staff
Dec 2011
Phoenix, AZ
  1. Be open minded and willing to alter your beliefs with new evidence.
  2. Strive to understand what is most likely to be true, not believe what you want to be true.
  3. The scientific method is the most reliable way of understanding the natural world.
  4. Every person has the right to control their own body.
  5. God is not necessary to be a good person, or to live a full and meaningful life.
  6. Be mindful of the consequences of all of your actions and recognise that you must take responsibility for them.
  7. Treat others as you would want them to treat you, and can reasonably expect they want to be treated.
  8. We have the responsibility to consider others, including future generations - which is not to be confused with unborn non-viable fetuses.
  9. There is no right way to live.
  10. Leave the world a better place than you found it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are rational positions by which to live one's life; unlike certain "commandments" of an irrational mythology one might mention.

Czernobog

Former Staff
Dec 2011
Phoenix, AZ
8 needs some work.

I like the rest.
Originally 8 didn't include the part about fetuses, but I know that anti-abortionists like to misrepresent "progeny" - future generations - as being synonymous with "unborn", so I wanted to make it impossible to make that false connection.

Feb 2011
The formerly great golden state
  2. Strive to understand what is most likely to be true, not believe what you want to be true.
  3. The scientific method is the most reliable way of understanding the natural world.
  5. God is not necessary to be a good person, or to live a full and meaningful life.
  6. Be mindful of the consequences of all of your actions and recognise that you must take responsibility for them.
  7. Treat others as you would want them to treat you, and can reasonably expect they want to be treated.
  8. We have the responsibility to consider others, including future generations - which is not to be confused with unborn non-viable fetuses.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are rational positions by which to live one's life; unlike certain "commandments" of an irrational mythology one might mention.
All much more applicable to today's world than the original 10 commandments. Other than not stealing and telling lies, the rest really don't apply any more.

The original starts with:

“I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.
I have never been a slave, nor have I even been to Egypt. How does this apply to me?

Nov 2008
Washington state

So in your view Killing , Murder and Stealing are all right? Its not in your ten commandments

Feb 2011
The formerly great golden state
So in your view Killing , Murder and Stealing are all right? Its not in your ten commandments
He didn't mention child molestation and pussy grabbing, either, but they're covered in #7.

I used to post a list of classroom rules on the wall. After a few years, the list was winnowed down to:

Treat others the way you want to be treated,
Respect others and their property,
Do only what helps you to learn.

That covers it all. No need for specifics.