Atlanta Hwy Bridge Collapses In Flames

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Thursday, March 30, 2017 at approximately 7 pm:

An elevated section of northbound Interstate 85, a major north-south artery for the Southeast, collapsed Thursday evening in Atlanta after a massive fire, officials said.

All five lanes of the highway in each direction were blocked and will be closed for the foreseeable future, officials said.
That prospect sent shudders through metro Atlanta commuters, who already contend with heavy traffic. An estimated 250,000 vehicles drive daily through that stretch of I-85, according to the Georgia Department of Transportation.
Cortez Stafford, a spokesman with the Atlanta Fire Department, said a unit was returning from another fire when it saw heavy smoke

"There was a 40-feet or higher wall of fire. Power lines were falling and arcing heavily and falling in the streets," Stafford told CNN.

As concrete began falling from under the bridge, firefighters were asked to step back, Stafford said. "Not even two minutes later, the highway fell with a big 'kaboom.' (It) knocked our guys back," he said.

There were no injuries.

In an unusual move, two fire trucks from Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport in south Atlanta came to the scene and sprayed foam on the fallen section and flames.

Interstate traffic was stopped and turned around, creating jams that extended 5 miles or more, not long by Atlanta standards, but many drivers were stuck in the area for hours.

*Snip*

The elevated span of highway -- a few miles north of downtown -- collapsed about 7 p.m. as crews battling the fire got out of danger. The cause of the fire was not immediately known.

*Snip*
I-85 fire: Section of interstate collapses in Atlanta - CNN.com

A few points.

First, it's miraculous that no one was injured or killed. Second, Trump has been tweeting all evening about Democrats and Hillary Clinton. Did he get briefed on this disaster? If he did, did he just not think it was part of his fucking job to protect us?

Lastly, what happened? Terror attack? Bridge fatigue?

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Jan 2007
That is about 150 miles from me. I85 runs near me. Always packed with 18 wheelers. What a mess it must be for Atlanta. Haven't heard one bit of this mentioned on national news. It's non stop trump talk.

Makes you wonder how sorry the rest of the highway system there is.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
That is about 150 miles from me. I85 runs near me. Always packed with 18 wheelers. What a mess it must be for Atlanta. Haven't heard one bit of this mentioned on national news. It's non stop trump talk.
I am still stunned no one was killed....I wonder if CNN meant no firefighters were killed. It's hard to believe the bridge was empty when it collapsed.

The FBI caught an anti-government group here in Cleveland a few years ago, plotting to blow up the Valley View Bridge at rush hour.

Whatever happened, it's scary and there's a reason to fear this will happen again tonight or tomorrow.

Even if it was an earthquake.

Jan 2007
7pm , it should of been packed with traffic. It was 20 years ago the last time I drove through that part of Atlanta at evening rush hour. It was beyond obscene then.

Jul 2015
Florida

A few points.

First, it's miraculous that no one was injured or killed. Second, Trump has been tweeting all evening about Democrats and Hillary Clinton. Did he get briefed on this disaster? If he did, did he just not think it was part of his fucking job to protect us?

Your thoughts?

Infrastructure, infrastructure, infrastructure! Wonder if there was a gas truck or something involved. 7pm, people are STILL communiting, everyon is damn lucky.

Reactions: 2 people

webrockk

Former Staff
Nov 2009
on the river
Infrastructure, infrastructure, infrastructure! Wonder if there was a gas truck or something involved. 7pm, people are STILL communiting, everyon is damn lucky.
This isn't an example of crumbling infrastructure....the intensity of the fire weakened the steel components.

webrockk

Former Staff
Nov 2009
on the river
I am still stunned no one was killed....I wonder if CNN meant no firefighters were killed. It's hard to believe the bridge was empty when it collapsed.

The FBI caught an anti-government group here in Cleveland a few years ago, plotting to blow up the Valley View Bridge at rush hour.

Whatever happened, it's scary and there's a reason to fear this will happen again tonight or tomorrow.

Even if it was an earthquake.
The interstate was closed long before it collapsed. the fire started below it...I've read reports that the area beneath the roadway was an impromptu? storage area for semi trailers.

Reactions: 3 people
Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC

A few points.

Your thoughts?
"Authorities managed to turn back traffic before the bridge collapsed, and Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal said no injuries were reported. But thousands of motorists were locked in place on the interstate as state troopers worked on a way to get vehicles off the roadway"

Recent Similar Discussions Forum Date
Current Events