Atlantis and ancient Rus...

Oct 2014
C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
I always assumed that it would be somewhere near what used to be the ancient Greek sphere of influence. After all, Atlantis does seem to originate from ancient Greece... West Africa seems to be way too far. I'd understand Egypt, at least, with Alexandria and all...
Clearly the water levels were at different levels at some point... It SEEMS consistent with the description of the city, as in a ringed city.

Beyond that I'm speculating, since I'm not really aware of any actual archaeological work there.

However, there also needs to be established timeframes too... It's not the prevailing opinion, but it's my suspicion that humans got a lot more advanced in the first 40000 years of existence than what survived.

I tend to agree that the end of the last ice age was more catastrophic than we generally consider.

Oct 2014
C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
Some people think Plato's tale of Atlantis might be a garbled story of the fall of the Minoan Civilization, which certainly did exist on the island of Crete, more than a thousand years before Plato wrote, and was destroyed by the massive Thera eruption and subsequent tsunamis, which bounced around the Aegean like a pinball.

Others think it might refer to an almost equally ancient culture which existed in the south of Spain and which also met with destruction. Both of those civilizations were highly mercantile civilizations.

There are pros and cons to both arguments. Then again, you might be right that it is nothing more than an allegory. But I rather think it, like Homer's tale of the Trojan War, is a bit of garbled history.
But Plato did also say that his description was literal, and that he had visited it.

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
Hmmm if I had to make a guess where Atlantis was I would bet on it being the Greek island of Santorini. err, before a huge volcanic eruption blew up most of it a few thousand years ago..

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
This guy talked about Atlantis too, on an episode of his show

He thinks they were either aliens themselves or humans who were given all kinds of alien technology.
If you can't trust a dude with hair like that, who the heck DO you trust??? ;D
lol well yeah ofcourse he's gonna say it was aliens. When has that goofball ever said otherwise? He thinks ancient humans are too damn stupid to stack huge rocks on top of each other.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
lol well yeah ofcourse he's gonna say it was aliens. When has that goofball ever said otherwise? He thinks ancient humans are too damn stupid to stack huge rocks on top of each other.
He (and others on that show) also said the various pyramids back then, Egyptian, Mayan, etc, were used by those ancient aliens as power stations for charging their ships or whatever. Or their smartphone, maybe lol I don't know.

And that the moon may be hollow inside. And lots of other cool weird stuff :D

I used to really like that show, watched all of it. Still do :)

I believe in aliens. More so, these days, than I believe in God...

Oct 2014
C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
Well, most of those ancient monuments could not be replicated, even with today's technologies.

It doesn't necessarily NEED aliens, humans have been in modern form for about 50000 years. Modern society is little over a few thousand years.

When you are talking 10's of thousands of years, there's not really a lot that survives, there's no reason that it's not possible that society has been rebuilt more than once.

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
Well, most of those ancient monuments could not be replicated, even with today's technologies.

It doesn't necessarily NEED aliens, humans have been in modern form for about 50000 years. Modern society is little over a few thousand years.

When you are talking 10's of thousands of years, there's not really a lot that survives, there's no reason that it's not possible that society has been rebuilt more than once.
No, you are wrong that "most of those ancient monuments could not be replicated, even with today's technologies" ..Given enough resources I can replicate whatever the ancients built.

We will just have to agree to disagree on that ;)

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
No, you are wrong that "most of those ancient monuments could not be replicated, even with today's technologies" ..Given enough resources I can replicate whatever the ancients built.

We will just have to agree to disagree on that ;)
The point is though, how the heck, for example, did the Egyptians lift enormous stone blocks to build their pyramids?

Yes, yes, supposedly slaves dragged them up there

I just have trouble believing humans would actually physically be able to do this... At least, they would need a hel of a lot of slaves, to keep replacing those dying from the sheer exhaustion...