Attorney General: John Chisholm broke campaign finance law

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Remember the DA who was responsible for the John Doe investigations in Wisconsin? Where he launched pre dawn raids on Walker supporters in which homes were raided, property was taken, and people were threatened and intimidated into silence. None of these raids resulted in any arrests let alone convictions. Because they weren't legitimate law enforcement. They were political harassment campaigns.
Looks like he's got his own problems.
MADISON, Wis. – Milwaukee County District Attorney John Chisholm, the Democrat who launched Wisconsin’s politically driven John Doe investigation into conservatives, appears to have broken state campaign finance law, according to state Attorney General Brad Schimel.
“…(I)t does appear on its face that two maximum contributions were received (by Chisholm’s campaign) from the same individual in the same election cycle,” Schimel told Wisconsin Watchdog Thursday.
Chisholm did not return a call seeking comment. He has not returned any calls from Watchdog.

As Wisconsin Watchdog exclusively reported this week, Chisholm’s campaign accepted donations in excess of single-contributor limits during the same election cycle, according to campaign finance documents.

Documents obtained by Wisconsin Watchdog show James Greenwald, of Wauwatosa, made two contributions of $3,000 each to Chisholm’s campaign – on May 5, 2014, and again on Jan. 20, 2015. Maximum single-donor contributions cannot exceed $3,000 for district attorney candidates in counties with populations of more than 300,000 residents, according to state campaign finance law.
Attorney General: John Chisholm broke campaign finance law - Watchdog.org

I only wish someone would take a battering ram to his front door and his home would be raided in the middle of the night in front of all his neighbors.

Jul 2014
Border Fence
Remember the DA who was responsible for the John Doe investigations in Wisconsin? Where he launched pre dawn raids on Walker supporters in which homes were raided, property was taken, and people were threatened and intimidated into silence. None of these raids resulted in any arrests let alone convictions. Because they weren't legitimate law enforcement. They were political harassment campaigns.

I only wish someone would take a battering ram to his front door and his home would be raided in the middle of the night in front of all his neighbors.
No indictments yet? Lets atleast get an indictment before we go battering down doors in the middle of the night...K.

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious

If he broke campaign finance laws they should throw the book at him.

That being said, seems funny a guy having issues with a place called "Politifact" would use a place like "Watchdog.org" :D

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA

That being said, seems funny a guy having issues with a place called "Politifact" would use a place like "Watchdog.org" :D
Politifact is full of factual errors and clear bias. If you would like to point those out with this site, then I'd be happy to discuss them.

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
Politifact is full of factual errors and clear bias. If you would like to point those out with this site, then I'd be happy to discuss them.
Fairly elementary, really...

A. Eric O'Keefe is a target of the "John Doe investigations".

B. Eric O'Keefe, as leader of the Sam Adams Alliance, leads the founding of the Franklin Center for Government and Public Integrity.

C. Watchdog.org is a project of the Franklin Center for Government and Public Integrity.

I'm not saying anything regarding who in this situation is right or wrong, should be prosecuted or shouldn't be, or who on either side was wronged. But watchdog.org is just as much of a "pundit" as politifact. That's pretty clear.

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Fairly elementary, really...

A. Eric O'Keefe is a target of the "John Doe investigations".

B. Eric O'Keefe, as leader of the Sam Adams Alliance, leads the founding of the Franklin Center for Government and Public Integrity.

C. Watchdog.org is a project of the Franklin Center for Government and Public Integrity.

I'm not saying anything regarding who in this situation is right or wrong, should be prosecuted or shouldn't be, or who on either side was wronged. But watchdog.org is just as much of a "pundit" as politifact. That's pretty clear.
And this changes the statement by the State AG how?

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
And this changes the statement by the State AG how?
It doesn't. I never claimed it did. In fact, all I said was:

The point is though that you automatically dismiss anything said by a place like Politifact because of their bias. Watchdog.org is just the opposite side of that coin. If you dismiss one as being a "pundit" then you've got to do the same to the other.

In fact, Watchdog.org can report the facts in any given situation. But so can Politifact. Readers should always be aware though of the inherent biases out there and understand that what they are reading can be shaped by those biases, whether they agree with that bias or not.

ARMCX1

Former Staff
Jun 2013
SoCal
Typically what is done in such cases is the offending politician returns one of the campaign contribution checks with the requisite protestations of ignorance of the violation.

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Typically what is done in such cases is the offending politician returns one of the campaign contribution checks with the requisite protestations of ignorance of the violation.
That's kind of like letting a shoplifter put the item they stole back.