Austalian PM furious as Putin parks warships off the coast ahead of G20 summit

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Australian PM Tony Abbott is fuming as Putin has brought warships off the coast as world leaders head there for the G20 summit.

"Vladimir Putin is underlining his presence at a major summit of world leaders in Australia by stationing warships in waters off the country’s northeastern coast, prompting the Australian prime minister to angrily accuse Russia of trying to reclaim the “lost glories” of the Soviet Union."

"In recent days, four Russian warships have entered international waters off the northeast Australian coast to coincide with Putin’s visit to Australia for the summit that brings together the leaders of the world’s 20 biggest industrialized and developing economies. Australia, in turn, sent three warships of its own to monitor them. The Russian embassy said on Friday that Russia’s Pacific fleet was testing its range, and could be used as security for Putin. Abbott was not impressed."

“Russia is being much more assertive now than it has been for a very long time,” he said at a press conference with British Prime Minister David Cameron, also in Australia for the summit. “Interestingly, Russia’s economy is declining even as Russia’s assertiveness is increasing.”

Australian PM furious as Putin arrives at G20 summit with warships in tow | National Post

Dec 2007
Middle of nowhere Arkansas
Australian PM Tony Abbott is fuming as Putin has brought warships off the coast as world leaders head there for the G20 summit.

"Vladimir Putin is underlining his presence at a major summit of world leaders in Australia by stationing warships in waters off the country’s northeastern coast, prompting the Australian prime minister to angrily accuse Russia of trying to reclaim the “lost glories” of the Soviet Union."

"In recent days, four Russian warships have entered international waters off the northeast Australian coast to coincide with Putin’s visit to Australia for the summit that brings together the leaders of the world’s 20 biggest industrialized and developing economies. Australia, in turn, sent three warships of its own to monitor them. The Russian embassy said on Friday that Russia’s Pacific fleet was testing its range, and could be used as security for Putin. Abbott was not impressed."

“Russia is being much more assertive now than it has been for a very long time,” he said at a press conference with British Prime Minister David Cameron, also in Australia for the summit. “Interestingly, Russia’s economy is declining even as Russia’s assertiveness is increasing.”

Australian PM furious as Putin arrives at G20 summit with warships in tow | National Post
They might as well just get used to the new world order. That would be the one without us.

Dec 2007
Middle of nowhere Arkansas
Let the world live without you guys awhile. Maybe they'll want you back and start to appreciate you all again ;)
At my age I don't give a damn anymore. The fact is I'm kinda' enjoying this. We need to come home, trade with the world, stop bombing it, and laugh ourselves all the way to the bank.

Jun 2006
Vancouver
It won't work for Putin, it didn't work for Nicholas, it didn't work for the Soviets. It doesn't stand a chance in hell of working in the age of cell phones and wikipedia.

He bought a decade of stunts like this by surprising Germany and the rest of us.

Touche. We were caught needing their gas for winter. That buys a lot of patience.

Meanwhile, a Japanese team successfully made auto fuel from bugs last week, your congress approved keystone, and I could drive from here to Mexico City with an electric car if I plan the trip and aren't in a hurry.

Russia's fucked and everyone knows it.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
[MENTION=15722]Dr.Gently[/MENTION], here in Richmond, we now have electric car charging stations around town

Not as many as gas stations, yet. But, I do think it's the future. My wife drives an electric car, btw.

Jun 2006
Vancouver
Ah...home.

It fucking snowed here today.

I can't prove it, but I'm 99% sure no one in Ottawa has ever had oral sex, smoked a joint, or sassed their mother.

No joke, I heard some high school students on the bus talking about how working for the city has a better pension but working for the federal public service has more job security.

I wanted to smack their faces, "for God's sake, where is your soul???"

I miss the pizza place at Commercial station.

2 slices, a coke, and a transvestite asks you if you want to buy some copper wire, quick.

Last edited:

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Whenever I hear about warships here I harken back to what just might be my favorite thread of all time.

34 warships sent from US for Obama visit
I think its all childish posturing, by Russia or America.

Ah...home.

It fucking snowed here today.

I can't prove it, but I'm 99% sure no one in Ottawa has ever had oral sex, smoked a joint, or sassed their mother.

No joke, I heard some high school students on the bus talking about how working for the city has a better pension but working for the federal public service has more job security.

I wanted to smack their faces, "for God's sake, where is your soul???"
It's okay here right now, sunny. Cold wind though. Few days ago, it rained like hell, even had some thunder. But it stopped pretty quickly.