AZ candidate killed his mother with a gun, runs against gun control

Sep 2012
SoCal
IMO he should be in prison.

AZ candidate shares story of killing his own mother to show why he's against more gun control
We’ve all heard the “good guy with a gun” argument, but the recent statements from Republican candidate for Arizona state Senate Bobby Wilson take it to a whole new level. AZCentral reports that during a gun control forum at a church in Tucson, Wilson recounted how he had to shoot an attacker in self-defense when he was just 18 years old. His attacker was his mother.

AZ Central notes that he didn’t share the whole story during the forum. While he paints his mom as a deranged attacker that he had to shoot in order to save his life, records show he was charged with the murders of both his mother and sister, confessed, recanted, and then said he had amnesia about the night of their shootings. The charges were ultimately dismissed. The article makes it clear that Wilson presenting himself as a “good guy with a gun” may not be the best choice.

...MORE...
AZ Central: Arizona Senate candidate who killed his mother supports 'good guys' with guns

Reactions: 6 people

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, next door to Darth Vader
Arizona, as beautiful a state as it is, also is certainly home to many nutcases.

Reactions: 3 people

Blues63

Dec 2014
Mustafa
AZ Central notes that he didn’t share the whole story during the forum. While he paints his mom as a deranged attacker that he had to shoot in order to save his life, records show he was charged with the murders of both his mother and sister, confessed, recanted, and then said he had amnesia about the night of their shootings. The charges were ultimately dismissed.
Holy Shit! At least he didn't use the 'Cheney Defence'.

Reactions: 2 people
Nov 2014
North Carolina
I'm sure there were fine people on both sides of the killing.
/yawn

Again: the President was referring to those people who showed up to protest the removal of the Robert E. Lee statue. There are a lot of fine people who think removing historical statues from the public square because they offend sensitive types if very stupid. I believe it's stupid also. That doesn't make me a nazi.

Not everyone who attended that event were white supremacists carrying torches. Just like not everyone who attended that event were Antifa rioters. There were good people on both sides who did not contribute to the violence. And those were obviously the people the President was referring to.

I can't stand how lies and propaganda like this get morphed into truths that so many people seem to believe despite it being bullshit. The President was quite clear he did not see White Supremacist as fine people. In fact he called them criminals and thugs.

The President has never approved of White Supremacists. You should go check out what he said about David Duke many years ago back when he was running in the reform party. So can we please stop spreading the lie that the President called White Supremacist fine people. Because he never did.

As to the topic of the thread: it's hard to fathom someone with a sordid history like this would have a chance in a major election. Murdering your family doesn't sound like an attribute that would endear you to voters. However - it does need to be pointed out he was never found guilty and the chargers were dropped.

Last edited:
Mar 2015
Mad Prophet
I do not believe Wilson's version of this story.

According to the newspaper, the charred bodies of Lavonne and Judy Wilson were found lying together in bed "in a 'perfectly relaxed' position, indicating they died in their sleep from suffocation."
^This pretty much tells the whole story, right here.

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
Fascinating article. This guy is running against one of Gabby Giffords aides, and brought up the shooting to score points on the gun debate, I guess:

Wilson said Giffords should have had security with her at the 2011 supermarket meet and greet.

"She basically created a target," he said. "Anytime you have a group of celebrities or a group of people like at the forum last night, you better have security there. It's the same with a public school."
I thought she did have security there, but either way it's a shitty thing to say. Giffords was at the town hall, too.

Reactions: 3 people