AZ Republican State Sen. Pushes Bill to Prohibit Discussing "Homosexuality" in Sex-Ed Classes

StanStill

Former Staff
Dec 2013
Work
Abstinence is sex education. It prevents pregnancy and disease.
That’s like saying “don’t do math problems and you’ll never get one wrong” is mathematics education.

Simply telling someone that they should never do something with no explanation of how it works or what could happen if they did is not education. It’s almost the exact opposite, because it suggests that people shouldn’t know the answers, or that they aren’t important.

Reactions: carew278

remington50

Dec 2018
Florida
It's not against the law for me, if i was a teacher to share the Gospel. It's free speech. Not necessarily the views of the school but my views personally.
It WOULD be in a public school setting. That is a government institution and you aren’t allowed to evangelize children when you are in the position of teacher. On your own time? Fine. Great. I don’t care. I’m a huge fan of religious freedom. But the flip side of that coin is that you have to respect everyone’s views on that. And that includes stopping you “as a teacher” from preaching to “homosexual teens“ and ostracizing them because you believe “God wills it.” Same as it would be illegal for some atheist to jump up there as a teacher and preach about the evils of religions and religions are the cause of all wars (or insert other stupid baseless claims I’ve seen atheists make).

Reactions: HCProf

remington50

Dec 2018
Florida
Abstinence is sex education. It prevents pregnancy and disease.
That is not a program and ignores that abstinence as a program has failed. Let me let you in on a dirty little secret: if it worked you and I wouldn’t be here. Our parents were just as sex crazed as our generation and the younger ones. The smart thing is to teach a program that informs kids on how to make smart decisions. It is also important to teach the rules of consent too. Kids are hormonal and stupid and telling them “don’t do it” ignores all the education psychology behind it.

Oct 2019
International Falls, Minnesota
That’s like saying “don’t do math problems and you’ll never get one wrong” is mathematics education.

Simply telling someone that they should never do something with no explanation of how it works or what could happen if they did is not education. It’s almost the exact opposite, because it suggests that people shouldn’t know the answers, or that they aren’t important.
It's not as simple as that.

Oct 2019
International Falls, Minnesota
That is not a program and ignores that abstinence as a program has failed. Let me let you in on a dirty little secret: if it worked you and I wouldn’t be here. Our parents were just as sex crazed as our generation and the younger ones. The smart thing is to teach a program that informs kids on how to make smart decisions. It is also important to teach the rules of consent too. Kids are hormonal and stupid and telling them “don’t do it” ignores all the education psychology behind it.
We disagree. Teaching children sex is for marriage and not recreation is smart.

Reactions: ripskater