Baby Aspirin May no longer be recommended

Jul 2018
North Carolina
For the benefit of those who do not have a Facebook account: New guidelines refine aspirin prescription - Harvard Health

@Frecks1710 @NightSwimmer Good article.:cool:

One thing I would add to the article is what drinking alcohol in moderation means.

The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse & Alcoholism (NIAAA) defines moderate drinking as up to four alcoholic drinks for men and three for women in any single day and a maximum of 14 drinks for men and seven drinks for women per week.

However, on most of the aspirin containers I have seen it recommends no more than 3 drinks a day when taking aspirin. Even the low dose 81mg dose because of the stomach bleeding risk it presents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
And, not just health care.

Science reverses themselves on all manner of things on a regular basis.

Yes, "science" is rarely as "settled" as they would have us believe.
Last first aid class I took, they no longer recommend rescue breaths (mouth to mouth) when doing CPR. My question is, why did it take so long for them to figure out they weren't effective?

Another one I found out recently was that old thing about taking all your antibiotics. Not a thing anymore. Now they switch them every couple of days or so.

What bothers me about it is medical personnel are such zealots about these guidelines, then when they are changed, they become just as zealous about the new ones. After learning I was misinformed the first time, I tend to somewhat skeptical. Nurses and doctors never do, they just act like "we've always been at war with baby aspirin."

Jun 2014
United States
Last first aid class I took, they no longer recommend rescue breaths (mouth to mouth) when doing CPR. My question is, why did it take so long for them to figure out they weren't effective?

It would be unethical to perform the required experiments on humans to determine the efficacy of using artificial respiration versus not using it.

Besides, that advice only applies to cardiac arrest victims: Rescue Breathing vs. Chest Compressions | The Response Institute | CPR Consultants

Jun 2014
United States
Another one I found out recently was that old thing about taking all your antibiotics. Not a thing anymore. Now they switch them every couple of days or so.

If you stop taking your antibiotics too soon, you're helping to create antibiotic resistant infections.