Bachmann plays risky anti-American gambit

Aug 2010
See you in a new existence!
Bachmann appears to be trying to have it both ways. She needs to make up her mind because her inconsistencies make her look nuts.

Bachmann plays risky anti-American gambit
Ironically, for someone who likes to question the allegiance of others, Bachmann had to confront her own wavering nationalism. After she dropped out of the GOP presidential race following her dismal showing in the Iowa caucus, she was granted Swiss citizenship. Because her husband has Swiss parents, she could have obtained Swiss citizenship in 1978, the year of her marriage.

Why did she wait 34 years? Bachmann blames the decision on her children. They "wanted to exercise their eligibility for dual-citizenship so they went through the process as a family," her spokesperson explained after a Swiss broadcaster broke the story in May. Two days later, Bachmann renounced her Swiss citizenship. "I took this action because I want to make it perfectly clear: I was born in America, and I am a proud American citizen. I am, and always have been, 100% committed to our United States Constitution and the United States of America," Bachmann said in a statement.

In other words, Bachmann didn't want her followers to see in her what she so often claims to have discovered in others: a lack of commitment to the country of their birth. By this, I don't mean those who hold dual citizenship are less American. But I suspect Bachmann realized she would have a hard time explaining her shared citizenship to the people who back her attacks on those who are not thought to be American enough.

May 2012
By the wall
Who cares about Bachmann.

She has proven to be an idiot a long time ago. Kinda like kicking a dead horse.

Jun 2011
N/A
Who cares about Bachmann.

She has proven to be an idiot a long time ago. Kinda like kicking a dead horse.
Well, apparently, a number of neanderthal throwbacks from her district who still don't get the opposable thumb find it important.

And she is an absolute WHORE for media attention. And that keeps her in the spotlight and makes her fair game for PH.

Can't have it both ways...

Oct 2010
In the empty heads of the right wingers I own
There should be a saying in politics: As Bachmann (or Palin, Allen West, Rand Paul, Pat Toomey, etc) go, so goes the tea party in the nut house.

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
Michele Bachmann has a history of being a hypocrite. She complains about government spending too much money on things like food stamps, but her family farm received agriculture subsidies. She's involved with the Dominion Christian activists, radical anti-gay and anti-abortion groups, yet she questions the "connections" Uma Habedin may have to the Muslim Brotherhood.

On one hand, I don't believe people should be barred from criticizing government or anything really, based on a standard where if you're not perfect you have to accept whatever abuses are dished out to you. But from day one, Bachmann and many others in the extreme, religious right have continously demonized people based on their inner core - their character. They don't object to Obama's policies as much as they object to why they thinks he has put them in place.

He's a bad seed, he has an evil soul, he's not one of us, he doesn't hold our values, he hates America.

On and on for the last three years. And again, the criticism of HC's assistant isn't about her or anything Bachmann or the others think she has done, but who she is and what her values must be because she's Muslim. She must be trying to advance Sharia law in America.

It is no more fair to assume everyone who is Muslim is an extremist any more than it's fair to lump all Christians in with the most extreme sects of that religion.

Maybe we should change the standard to anyone who accuses others of hating America must be the one who hates America. They hate people being united, they hate acceptance and tolerance of other cultures or religions, they don't want to afford the same rights and respect to all people, but choose to suspect and exclude non-white and non-Christians from the fold.

You just can't get much more un-American in spirit than that as far as I'm concerned.

Reactions: the watchman

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
There should be a saying in politics: As Bachmann (or Palin, Allen West, Rand Paul, Pat Toomey, etc) go, so goes the tea party in the nut house.
LOL - at first I thought that said "spaying". :icon_ohyeah: