Baker Who Wouldn't Serve Lesbians Burst Into Tears On Gay Marriage Panel

jackalope

Former Staff
Jan 2010
Maine
Baker Who Wouldn't Serve Lesbians Burst Into Tears On Gay Marriage Panel

ByDANIEL STRAUSSPublishedSEPTEMBER 26, 2014, 5:50 PM EDT9788 Views

Melissa Klein, one of the owners of a Christian bakery who refused to bake a wedding cake for a same-sex couple and have since been fighting the state of Oregon over the matter, broke into tears when describing her business during a panel at the Values Voter Summit on Friday.

(snip ... )

Moderator Peter Sprigg then asked the couple about legal action taken against them.

"I mean quite frankly, they didn't just harass us, they harassed the other wedding vendors that we did business with. It cut off our referral system," Aaron Klein, Melissa's husband, said. "We had to shut the shop down. Melissa does very limited cakes out of our house. I mean we're facing in excess of $150,000 of damages for this, just for simply standing by my first amendment rights."
Klein said it's a "violation of my conscience, I mean it's a violation of my religious freedom."

more: http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/oregon-cake-bakers-vvs

"I mean quite frankly, they didn't just harass us, they harassed the other wedding vendors that we did business with. It cut off our referral system," Aaron Klein, Melissa's husband, said. "We had to shut the shop down. Melissa does very limited cakes out of our house. I mean we're facing in excess of $150,000 of damages for this, just for simply standing by my first amendment rights."

Klein said it's a "violation of my conscience, I mean it's a violation of my religious freedom."

He doesn't appear to notice ..... the peoople 'harrasing other vendors" were excercising THEIR 1st Amendment Rights !

Reactions: 9 people

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
no sympathy for this woman at all. Other than the harassment, she got what she deserved.

Reactions: 5 people

RosieS

Former Staff
Mar 2013
Mother Mayo
Civil rights trump First Amendment rights every time.

You can't bar "those people" from your church or business; however you define "those people".

Freedom of religion or association does not mean you can deny "those people" their inalienable civil rights.

When you do; expect those people to respond in an uncivil fashion.

Regards from Rosie

Reactions: 8 people

Vortex

Former Staff
Dec 2006
home
And her conscious allowed her to bake cakes for animal weddings and celebrating pagan rituals and Halloween, I guess that gay marriage stuff just tipped the scale.

Reactions: 8 people

jackalope

Former Staff
Jan 2010
Maine
no sympathy for this woman at all. Other than the harassment, she got what she deserved.
She's in a box created by her own bigotry. And her husband said, they didn't harass them. Their referrals just dried up.

Guess the market for hatred isn't strong enough to keep a baker in pie, where they live.

Reactions: 4 people

jackalope

Former Staff
Jan 2010
Maine
And her conscious allowed her to bake cakes for animal weddings and celebrating pagan rituals and Halloween, I guess that gay marriage stuff just tipped the scale.
Whoa! THAT'S ..... just ..... a leeetle bit disgusting of her.

Aug 2014
Canada
Christian woman in tears, possibly bankrupt....and hilarity ensues. That's gotta bring a smile to liberals faces.

Reactions: 2 people

jackalope

Former Staff
Jan 2010
Maine
Christian woman in tears, possibly bankrupt....and hilarity ensues. That's gotta bring a smile to liberals faces.
Hatred is never funny to me. Ain't seen anyone talking about laughing - except you.
What do you think about her ruining her business due to her own hatred?

Reactions: 5 people

Vortex

Former Staff
Dec 2006
home
Hypocrite crying because her bigotry was not supported by everyone, what a shocker. No smiles here, just disgust that another faux christian distorts the messages of christ and gets pity from folks like you.

Reactions: 10 people