Bank robber wearing ‘Day of Dead’ mask may be charged with cultural appropriation

Sparta

Former Staff
Aug 2006
Connecticut
This quote from the article sums up the stupiditiy plaguing our culture:

“In this case, the suspect is sought for violating the rights of indigenous peoples, and for bank robbery."

An armed robber wearing a “Day of the Dead”-type mask, who held up a Wells Fargo Bank, may be charged with cultural appropriation, in addition to bank robbery.

According to a press release by the Santa Monica Police Department, on Sept. 10, a man wearing a hooded sweatshirt, gloves, and a skull mask similar to one that represents the Mexican holiday, entered a Wells Fargo location in the beachside Los Angeles suburb.

Holding a shotgun, the man demanded cash in amounts varying between $3,000 and $5,000, and ran, jumping an 8-foot fence outside. According to the Santa Monica Observer, a witness said the robber jumped into a red SUV waiting in an alley.

Bank robber wearing ‘Day of Dead’ mask may be charged with cultural appropriation

Reactions: pragmatic
May 2019
A Van Down by the River...
Wrong forum, you meant to post this on political humour.

Obviously, you can't have been daft enough to think that cultural appropriation is actually a crime and to have mistaken this satire for genuine news.
Ha! I actually thought this was in Political Humor.
???
Que paso?

Reactions: DerpStateSally
May 2019
Yeah I did my own fact checking but only found Yahoo! as the most trustable source.
It looks like it's for real, which is plain ridonkulous.
They even had a quote from a Wells Fargo rep:
"Wells Fargo values and promotes diversity and inclusion in all aspects of business at all levels.
"We do not tolerate racism, cultural appropriation or discrimination of any kind.”

Wells Fargo is upset about the ideological issues of those who rob them?

But then:
The Lookout called Santa Monica Police to verify the validity of the police press release quoted in the Observer article that was the basis for Yahoo's report.
SantaMonicaLookout: "Bad" Bank Robbery?

May 2019
Just curious. Do any of those articles state that the robber will be prosecuted for the "crime' of cultural appropriation? ;)
I'm not even sure about any of this, but as the perp is still at large they're only chatting about the charge of "cultural appropriation" which as I type this realize how absurd that is b/c there isn't such a thing so I'm gonna bug outa this silly thread.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Weirdo
Yeah I did my own fact checking but only found Yahoo! as the most trustable source.
It looks like it's for real, which is plain ridonkulous.
They even had a quote from a Wells Fargo rep:
"Wells Fargo values and promotes diversity and inclusion in all aspects of business at all levels.
"We do not tolerate racism, cultural appropriation or discrimination of any kind.”

Wells Fargo is upset about the ideological issues of those who rob them?

But then:
The Lookout called Santa Monica Police to verify the validity of the police press release quoted in the Observer article that was the basis for Yahoo's report.
SantaMonicaLookout: "Bad" Bank Robbery?
Well let's be honest. Media slants the truth to get clicks and views.

There is an actual law that says wearing a mask to evade capture is against the law in California.

Penal Code 185 PC - Wearing a Mask to Evade Police

And that is where the connection is made. The rest is creative writing from the "author". If-you-will.

I've seen no actual quote from police about cultural appropriation.

God I hope this turns out to be satire.

Reactions: DairyHeiress
Dec 2018
the Heart of America
This quote from the article sums up the stupiditiy plaguing our culture:

“In this case, the suspect is sought for violating the rights of indigenous peoples, and for bank robbery."

An armed robber wearing a “Day of the Dead”-type mask, who held up a Wells Fargo Bank, may be charged with cultural appropriation, in addition to bank robbery.

According to a press release by the Santa Monica Police Department, on Sept. 10, a man wearing a hooded sweatshirt, gloves, and a skull mask similar to one that represents the Mexican holiday, entered a Wells Fargo location in the beachside Los Angeles suburb.

Holding a shotgun, the man demanded cash in amounts varying between $3,000 and $5,000, and ran, jumping an 8-foot fence outside. According to the Santa Monica Observer, a witness said the robber jumped into a red SUV waiting in an alley.

Another reason to boycott California and stay as far from there as possible.