Barack Obama on Globe's shortlist to become President of Harvard

Singularity

Former Staff
Oct 2009
Kansas
The others are Janet Yellen (not sure when she's done as Fed chair) and Nitin Nohria, who is dean of the business school.

Woodrow Wilson attended Princeton in his younger years and served a term as its president until he was elected governor of New Jersey in 1910. Dwight Eisenhower got appointed to lead Columbia University in 1948 even when it was fairly obvious that he would be eyeing high office in the immediate future, and he never was a student there. The whole business was awkward.

No president has been involved full time in academia after leaving office since I think Buchanan, but I'm not entirely sure.

webrockk

Former Staff
Nov 2009
on the river
The Lightworker just bought that $8M house in DC and pulls down $400K for a 30 minute monologue. not seeing it.

webrockk

Former Staff
Nov 2009
on the river
His job would basically be to travel worldwide looking for donations to Harvard. He'd still do speaking engagements on the side.
If that's all being president of Harvard entails, he might not be able to pass up the prestige. Plus, $1.2 million salary. wow...I'm surprised liberals would offer or accept that kind of scratch....wealth gap, and all.

May 2012
By the wall
After leaving office:

Jefferson: Rector at University of Virginia

Madison: Rector at University of Virginia

Monroe: Regent at University of Virginia

Tyler: chancellor of the College of William and Mary

Fillmore: Chancellor at University of Buffalo

Buchanan was never involved in academia after leaving office, he spent his time writing.