Barnard student Tessa Majors’ murder becomes a political football as police union chief claims she was murdered while trying to buy weed

Rev. Hellh0und

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Somewhere below 14th and East.
Barnard student Tessa Majors’ murder becomes a political football as police union chief claims she was murdered while trying to buy weed

Murder victim Tessa Majors’ memory became a political football Sunday, with the leader of a police union shaming the slain Barnard College student to make a point about what he views as lax enforcement of marijuana laws.
“An 18-year-old college student at one of the most prestigious universities is murdered in a park, and what I’m understanding, she was in the park to buy marijuana,” Sergeants Benevolent Association president Ed Mullins said on businessman John Catsimatidis’ Sunday morning radio show.
Advertisement

“And you think about that, we don’t enforce marijuana laws anymore. We’re basically hands-off on the enforcement of marijuana,” Mullins said.
"So here we have a student murdered by a 13-year-old and we have a common denominator of marijuana. You know, my question to the people of New York City is, ‘Why is this happening?’”
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Do you agree that this was victim shaming, or was it, as I feel an attack a rightful attack on diblasio's policies in my city.