Because of Anti-Vaxxers, 37 People in Europe Have Died of Measles This Year

Feb 2011
The formerly great golden state
Because of Anti-Vaxxers, 37 People in Europe Have Died of Measles This Year

An outbreak of measles is rampaging across Europe, taking a huge toll. In the first six months of 2018, there were 41,000 recorded cases of the easily preventable viral infection.
Measles is already on the rise in the US. Last year saw Minnesota's worst outbreak in decades, and earlier this year there was an outbreak in New York City. There's an outbreak underway in Brooklyn right now, with six cases cropping up last week, all of them in unvaccinated children (one too young to have been vaccinated).
Measles is also insanely infectious - and potentially deadly, particularly for small children. In 2016, there were 89,780 measles deaths globally, most of them in children under the age of 5.
As someone who grew up in the pre vaccine era, a time when it was expected that every child would get the measles sooner or later, this situation seems insane to me. Measles should have gone extinct by now.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
This issue drives me nuts. I just dont get it. Whats infuriating is how many pediatricians now are on board with this. Vermont was at epidemic proportions a decade ago because all the granola crunchers didnt "want big pharma getting rich" off of vaccines. The Kennedy family are huge anti vaxxers and did enormous damage throughout New England because of this as people believe them. Ugh.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
As the new school year has begun in Italy, parents no longer have to prove their children have been immunised – highlighting a clash of priorities, stoked by the new populist government. The country has become the testing ground for anti-vaxxers, a movement growing across Europe and the US, and whose ideologies often share space on the political landscape with populist parties. "Ten obligatory vaccinations are useless and in many cases dangerous, if not harmful,” Italy’s interior minister Matteo Salvini said, in the run up to the general election in March. To stop transmission of infections, 93-95 per cent of the population should be immunised, the herd immunity threshold. But in 2015, Italy’s paediatric measles vaccination rate was around 85 per cent for the first dose and 83 per cent for the second dose.

If you go on Twitter, anti-vaccine messages are outperforming pro-vaccine five or six to one. I don’t think we’re winning. I think we’re starting to lose. Ukraine has more than 30,000 cases of measles this year. Mizzou had a terrible mumps outbreak, hundreds of cases. And it’s a shame. It’s more than a shame, it’s a tragedy. I’m not out to vilify antivaxxers. I don’t doubt that they care about their children and they care about other people’s children. But scientists are doing a lousy job communicating with the public about it. The evidence that vaccines are safe and effective is so overwhelming that scientists don’t want to talk about it anymore. They think the matter is settled. But they don’t recognize that we might have the facts on our side but we’re still losing the war on vaccines.

Fighting the vaccine wars on the side of science
How the anti-vaxxers are winning in Italy

Apr 2012
East coast USA
Yep, I'm in my speedo swimm trunks and 10 years old getting ready to go to the pool, I've got red bumps on me. Measles mom screams, you're not going anywhere.

Jun 2014
United States
This issue drives me nuts. I just dont get it. Whats infuriating is how many pediatricians now are on board with this. Vermont was at epidemic proportions a decade ago because all the granola crunchers didnt "want big pharma getting rich" off of vaccines. The Kennedy family are huge anti vaxxers and did enormous damage throughout New England because of this as people believe them. Ugh.

Robert F. Kennedy Jr. is not "the Kennedy family".

Jun 2014
United States
True but there are a few that join him and help raise money for his foundation World Mercury Project crusade. They run commercials around here all the time. Its ridiculous.

Really? Which family members have joined his anti-vaccine cause? I've never heard any of that conspiracy theory nonsense from any of them aside from RFK Jr.