Because of Anti-Vaxxers, 37 People in Europe Have Died of Measles This Year

Jan 2016
Colorado
Oooh personal attacks...

You're the anti-science one, sir.

If I drink a beer, that does not get you drunk. THAT is how stupid your claim is...
It is beyond absurd to label ME as the anti-science one, between the two of us, when it is YOU who:

(1) REJECTS the universal consensus of the scientific community as to WHY the planet Venus is as hot as it is;

(2) REJECTS the almost universal consensus behind anthropogenic global warming, and appears not to understand the basic greenhouse properties of gases such as carbon dioxide (CO2), methane (CH4), water vapor (H2O), chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), and so on and so on;

(3) REJECTS the ENTIRE science of epidemiology, quite apparently, which deals with how epidemics spread in a society, and for which there is a MASSIVE mathematical literature, which you appear to be utterly ignorant of;

(4) LATCHES eagerly onto every ZANY conspiracy theory that comes your way.

Jan 2016
Colorado
Your virtue signaling aside, nothing you say disputes the fact that both vaccines and bullet proof vests are used to protect the user from harm. Logic still escapes you.
You refuse to understand an OBVIOUS difference between them that grade school children would have no difficulty in grasping. And, laughably, you want to talk about 'logic'.

Jan 2016
Colorado
We are...we cannot hold a person down and stick a needle in them...but we can restrict them to protect the greater good in society. This is how a society functions. I would never send a child of mine to school with a bunch of unvaccinated kids...which is where this is heading. If they want to have measles parties and celebrate disease, allow them to do that with other unvaccinated kids. I won't even take my dogs to a dog park because of the possibility they may catch something from other dogs who are not vaccinated or have parasites because owners don't worm them.
HCProf, we would NOT have been able to eliminate smallpox from the world without a few tens of thousands of involuntary vaccinations in the Indian subcontinent.

That happens to be a fact.

We would still be having smallpox epidemics today, and would still face the possibility of smallpox PANDEMIC in the future, on your moral stance.

And, again, smallpox killed more human beings than ANY OTHER AGENT in history, including ALL the wars that human beings have ever fought.

Jan 2016
Colorado
There are many differences. I'm not here to take homework assignments from knuckleheads. The relevant point is the similarity: they are both forms of protection. Run along now.
As I expected, you are totally incapable of explaining the fundamental difference.

Oct 2014
C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
It is beyond absurd to label ME as the anti-science one, between the two of us, when it is YOU who:

(1) REJECTS the universal consensus of the scientific community as to WHY the planet Venus is as hot as it is;

(2) REJECTS the almost universal consensus behind anthropogenic global warming, and appears not to understand the basic greenhouse properties of gases such as carbon dioxide (CO2), methane (CH4), water vapor (H2O), chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), and so on and so on;

(3) REJECTS the ENTIRE science of epidemiology, quite apparently, which deals with how epidemics spread in a society, and for which there is a MASSIVE mathematical literature, which you appear to be utterly ignorant of;

(4) LATCHES eagerly onto every ZANY conspiracy theory that comes your way.
Science is not a democracy. It is a meritocracy, one based on evidence.

Feb 2011
The formerly great golden state
Ok... Bottom line... When a culture stops shitting in the streets, when they increase hygienic practices, drink clean water and eat clean food, there's a lot less room for disease to spread.

Vaccines are to protect the person, your telling me that if I don't get a vaccine is going to make yours less effective only means you don't trust that they work.

Safe and effective gets parroted constantly, but their safety is statistical, and the effectiveness will vary.

That's why it's a cost benefit thing. Like the odds of a 6 month old being exposed to hepatitis is extremely rare. Things like chicken pox create the vaccine when you get it and is, unless you get as an adult, almost always just a week of discomfort. However, if you're going to a different country, not usually a bad idea to at least consider the vaccines that may be relevant.

Of course, the companies make less money if people aren't taking them, or really weighing the risks... That's why doctors try to avoid providing the drug inserts.
All that has already been explained. Sorry you didn't get it.
We may not have mentioned that measles, as well as chicken pox, is caused by viruses and not by poor hygiene. Before the vaccine was invented, nearly everyone got the measles, regardless of how often they showered. Now, hardly anyone gets it, and those who do tend to be the unvaccinated. That's just fact, sorry it doesn't fit with your world view.