Because of Anti-Vaxxers, 37 People in Europe Have Died of Measles This Year

Feb 2011
The formerly great golden state
Science is not a democracy. It is a meritocracy, one based on evidence.
Finally, you came up with a true statement.
Science is, indeed, based on evidence, on facts, on the results of experiments. Science doesn't care whether or not you believe its conclusions. It is what it is. If some people choose to think that heavier than air flight is not possible, airplanes still fly. They even fly with passengers who have no idea what makes them fly. If some people choose to believe that global warming is a hoax, the climate will still continue to change. It doesn't care. If some people reject evolution based on religious convictions, creatures will still continue to evolve. Science really doesn't care what people choose to believe.

Oct 2014
C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
Finally, you came up with a true statement.
Science is, indeed, based on evidence, on facts, on the results of experiments. Science doesn't care whether or not you believe its conclusions. It is what it is. If some people choose to think that heavier than air flight is not possible, airplanes still fly. They even fly with passengers who have no idea what makes them fly. If some people choose to believe that global warming is a hoax, the climate will still continue to change. It doesn't care. If some people reject evolution based on religious convictions, creatures will still continue to evolve. Science really doesn't care what people choose to believe.
It's too bad you're not really looking at science, but repeating propaganda.

Jan 2016
Colorado
Later tonight, when I return from a birthday celebration for my nephew, I will be quoting from an amazing book by Professor Martin A. Nowak, who is a Professor of Biology AND of Mathematics, at Harvard University, and is the Director of the Program for Evolutionary Dynamics there. The title of the book is Evolutionary Dynamics: Exploring the Equations of Life.

From the inside dust cover: Evolution has become a mathematical theory....and any idea of an evolutionary process or mechanism should be studied in the context of the mathematical equations of evolutionary dynamics. [This] book presents a range of analytical tools that can be used to this end: fitness landscapes, mutation matrices, genomic sequence space, random [genetic] drift, quasi-species, replicators, the Prisoner's Dilemma, games in finite and infinite populations, evolutionary graph theory, games on grids, evolutionary kaleidoscopes, fractals, and spatial chaos......Nowak then shows how evolutionary dynamics applies to real-world problems, including the progression of viral diseases such as AIDS, the virulence of infectious agents, the unpredictable mutations that can lead to cancer, the evolution of altruism, and even the evolution of human language.

There is one entire chapter devoted to the mathematics of the AIDS pandemic, and another chapter devoted to the "Evolution of Virulence". It is that chapter I will be quoting from, when I return from my birthday celebration.

There are people posting here who are utterly IGNORANT that this is an area of biological science that has been THOROUGHLY mathematized and experimentally TESTED. Yikes!

Oct 2014
C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
You can believe that if you want. Science doesn't care.
My point exactly.

Sanitation limited exposure to pathogens sufficiently that they were less able to infect a host.

Look at what's happening in LA area, they are seeing new outbreaks of typhus. Why? Hygiene issues mainly.

Feb 2011
The formerly great golden state
My point exactly.

Sanitation limited exposure to pathogens sufficiently that they were less able to infect a host.

Look at what's happening in LA area, they are seeing new outbreaks of typhus. Why? Hygiene issues mainly.
That may be what you believe.
That's not what science is saying.
So, it doesn't matter what you believe.

Oct 2014
C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
That may be what you believe.
That's not what science is saying.
So, it doesn't matter what you believe.
Sorry, but I bet you couldn't even tell me what my position is, let alone what the science can demonstrate.

Do you read media reports or drug inserts? Think about it.

Jan 2016
Colorado
My point exactly.

It's interesting that you should mention typhus. There is a new vaccine for typhus available, thanks to work funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. Somewhere "between 11 million to 20 million people fall ill with typhoid every year," according to the latest issue of The Economist, and "of those 160,000, mostly children, die." The article goes on to say that "Typhoid fever can be treated with antibiotics, but this line of defense is starting to fail as extensively drug resistant (XDR) bugs are spreading rapidly and alarmingly in Pakistan. [Previously] existing vaccines provide only temporary protection to adults and do not work in children." Crucially, the new vaccine is safe for use in children as young as six months. And experiments in Britain have shown the vaccine to be almost 90% effective.

Besides Pakistan, "other places where the [new] vaccine could be deployed include Bangladesh, Ghana, India, Nepal, Nigeria, and Uganda. Besides being able to bring typhoid outbreaks in countries like these to a halt, vaccination may also help drive down the use of antibiotics, and thus the selection pressure that maintains XDR bacteria in the population. Anita Zaidi, head of the vaccine development, surveillance, and enteric and diarrheal diseases programs at the Gates Foundation, even wonders if it might be possible to eliminate typhoid ENTIRELY if enough people are vaccinated."

Once again, we are presented with an opportunity to utterly wipe from the face of the Earth, an ancient malady that has afflicted humanity for millennia.

And once again, I can very easily predict that we will SQUANDER this opportunity, just as we have done with polio, with measles, and with several other diseases.

[Note: I would provide a link to this article from The Economist, as I have a subscription, but you would immediately run into a paywall. The story is in the February 2-February 8, 2019 issue, on pages 68-69, in the article titled "Better Late Than Never: A Newly Revived Vaccine May Deal a Death Blow to Typhoid Fever".]

Jan 2016
Colorado
I will postpone quoting from the Nowak book until tomorrow. The birthday celebration for my nephew was fun, so I stayed later than I thought I would, and would now like to get a good night's sleep. I will post several paragraphs from that book tomorrow.

Oct 2014
C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
It's interesting that you should mention typhus. There is a new vaccine for typhus available, thanks to work funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. Somewhere "between 11 million to 20 million people fall ill with typhoid every year," according to the latest issue of The Economist, and "of those 160,000, mostly children, die." The article goes on to say that "Typhoid fever can be treated with antibiotics, but this line of defense is starting to fail as extensively drug resistant (XDR) bugs are spreading rapidly and alarmingly in Pakistan. [Previously] existing vaccines provide only temporary protection to adults and do not work in children." Crucially, the new vaccine is safe for use in children as young as six months. And experiments in Britain have shown the vaccine to be almost 90% effective.

Besides Pakistan, "other places where the [new] vaccine could be deployed include Bangladesh, Ghana, India, Nepal, Nigeria, and Uganda. Besides being able to bring typhoid outbreaks in countries like these to a halt, vaccination may also help drive down the use of antibiotics, and thus the selection pressure that maintains XDR bacteria in the population. Anita Zaidi, head of the vaccine development, surveillance, and enteric and diarrheal diseases programs at the Gates Foundation, even wonders if it might be possible to eliminate typhoid ENTIRELY if enough people are vaccinated."

Once again, we are presented with an opportunity to utterly wipe from the face of the Earth, an ancient malady that has afflicted humanity for millennia.

And once again, I can very easily predict that we will SQUANDER this opportunity, just as we have done with polio, with measles, and with several other diseases.

[Note: I would provide a link to this article from The Economist, as I have a subscription, but you would immediately run into a paywall. The story is in the February 2-February 8, 2019 issue, on pages 68-69, in the article titled "Better Late Than Never: A Newly Revived Vaccine May Deal a Death Blow to Typhoid Fever".]
The gates family are dangerous, best to not trust anything they touch.

Regardless, typhus is one that, in the first world, there is no reason for it to even exist. There is no need for the vaccine when there are not the conditions present. Unfortunately, for whatever the reason, LA area is seeing it emerge again.

Oh and typhus and typhoid are different things, I won't poke fun about that since I only recently found out as well.

That does justify a quarantine procedure for those who come from problem areas, though I'm pretty sure neither speeds very easily.