Benefit of universal health care - longer life

T

tabarnac

I wonder if the study considers the effect of over 300M guns on the life expenctancy of Americans. Back when I lived in Windsor in the early 1990s, we used to get TV from Detroit. Watching the local news we found that reports of murders would usually take up half the news report particularly the part south of Warren, north of Lincoln Park, east of Farmington Hills & Dearborn and west of Grosse Point, and there is always a traffic jam at Dequindre & M59.

K

katiegrrl0

I wonder if the study considers the effect of over 300M guns on the life expenctancy of Americans. Back when I lived in Windsor in the early 1990s, we used to get TV from Detroit. Watching the local news we found that reports of murders would usually take up half the news report particularly the part south of Warren, north of Lincoln Park, east of Farmington Hills & Dearborn and west of Grosse Point, and there is always a traffic jam at Dequindre & M59.
It gets pretty bad here in S. A. the violence on the street is not good at all. I do recall in Chicago and New York the newscasts filled with the gun violence and all the rest.

Feb 2010
Sunny Bournemouth, Dorset
"What's the point of living longer if you have to do so as an obamasociacommiemarxocrat?"

It's double whammy, as we not only live longer, it feels even longer than that! :p:lol:

Mar 2010
Detroit is a cesspool, but even there crime is not as terrible as the news makes it out to be.
Murder makes good ratings, so you can guarantee the news will be on it.
Most of the rest of the news is what might as well be commercials.

Dec 2007
But do we actually know whether universal healthcare causes that higher life expectancy? It could also be cultural behavior (eating and exercise habits, attitudes toward seeing doctors), higher levels of equality, health laws, food standards, safety requirements, reduced stress through rules at work, etc.
(granted, conservatives are against just about everything I mentioned)

I support UHC on the basis that life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness are basic rights... and health care is directly connected to that. But this is an argument for equal access, not better overall outcomes.
Some studies suggest that the poor are just as disproportionately unhealthy in countries with UHC as countries without. According to those studies, increased overall equality would be more important for outcomes (something I also support for reasons of equity and human rights). Canada and most European countries would beat the US in those attributes as well, and that may explain more of the differentiation in life expectancy.
No, it is about health care accessibility and to a certain extent, personal knowledge.

You only have to look within a country to see some of the inequity - take indigenous health - all across the world the average life expectancy is poor for indigenous people regardless. Some of this is due to ACCESS - our indigenous live mostly on the fringe of the desert or up around the "top end" - not a high population density up in the tropics of Australia and bloody great distances between hospitals and especially major centres - now add to that some genetic predispositions and a Europeanised diet as well as substance abuse from, well I just wish they would like themselves more, and you have a recipe for a short life no matter how well we support them otherwise.

BUT in my life time I have seen changes - there is improvement, slow, but it is happening. Thing is these changes would not happening if there was no government sponsored health care.