Bennet: Medicare for all supporters need to be honest with the people

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Sen. Michael Bennet suggested Monday that the “Medicare for All” proposals touted by many of his Democratic primary opponents may not be as popular as they seem, telling CNN that candidates should "be honest" with voters about the realities of such health care policies.

“When you tell people the first thing about Medicare for All — either that it takes insurance away from 180 million Americans that have it through their employer or the taxes we would have to pay to afford that $30 trillion program — that 70 percent support falls to the mid-30s,” Bennet said on CNN's "New Day." “I think we need to level with the American people.”

Instead of a Medicare for All health care plan, the Colorado senator touted the “Medicare X” proposal he and Sen. Tim Kaine (D-Va.) rolled out last month that would allow for a public health care option, modeled after Medicaid, to be made available alongside private insurance. The proposal “allows people to choose for their families what's best for them in terms of insurance and in terms of primary care,” Bennet said.

Bennet: Medicare for All supporters 'need to level with the American people'

StanStill

Former Staff
Dec 2013
Work
Rather than trying to bogeyman people with big numbers like 30 trillion, it would be more honest to explain that we already spend more than Medicare for All would cost.

That's why zero republicans and only a few democrats will say it. You'll probably never hear a paid commentator on any network news program say that either...because they don't want to step on the toes of any well connected billionaires.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Rather than trying to bogeyman people with big numbers like 30 trillion, it would be more honest to explain that we already spend more than Medicare for All would cost.

That's why zero republicans and only a few democrats will say it. You'll probably never hear a paid commentator on any network news program say that either...because they don't want to step on the toes of any well connected billionaires.
I think (at least speaking to people in real life) that most people are clueless as to what it means. They dont understand the difference between single payer, Medicare for all and the ACA. UHC is often misunderstood as well. I think it would be worthwhile to take the time to explain it if you are running for candidates. Trump spends hours at his rallies, it seems odd that a D candidate couldnt spend 15 minutes explaining it or hosting a town hall about it. Most people I know think they will still have huge premiums, deductibles, copays and a 10% hike in income taxes at least.

Jul 2011
Tennessee

There's one key underlying deference, the government will be running everyone's health insurance.

Hell no!

May 2012
By the wall
Sen. Michael Bennet suggested Monday that the “Medicare for All” proposals touted by many of his Democratic primary opponents may not be as popular as they seem, telling CNN that candidates should "be honest" with voters about the realities of such health care policies.

“When you tell people the first thing about Medicare for All — either that it takes insurance away from 180 million Americans that have it through their employer or the taxes we would have to pay to afford that $30 trillion program — that 70 percent support falls to the mid-30s,” Bennet said on CNN's "New Day." “I think we need to level with the American people.”

Instead of a Medicare for All health care plan, the Colorado senator touted the “Medicare X” proposal he and Sen. Tim Kaine (D-Va.) rolled out last month that would allow for a public health care option, modeled after Medicaid, to be made available alongside private insurance. The proposal “allows people to choose for their families what's best for them in terms of insurance and in terms of primary care,” Bennet said.

Bennet: Medicare for All supporters 'need to level with the American people'
Isn't that what Obamacare is?

May 2012
By the wall

If I like my plan can I keep my plan if they roll this out?

Feb 2011
Boise, ID
That's not necessarily known, and generic references to "all other advanced nations" doesn't really inform us of anything. Regardless of what other countries do what multitude of variations with respect to universal health care, how our system will work if we move to single payer totally depends on a lot of the specifics of how a U.S. single payer plan would be designed. You can read about those considerations here: https://www.cbo.gov/system/files/2019-05/55150-singlepayer.pdf

Apr 2018
oregon
I think (at least speaking to people in real life) that most people are clueless as to what it means. They dont understand the difference between single payer, Medicare for all and the ACA. UHC is often misunderstood as well.
What isn't misunderstood is more government involvement in personal healthcare decisions. I'll pass on that.

StanStill

Former Staff
Dec 2013
Work
That's not necessarily known, and generic references to "all other advanced nations" doesn't really inform us of anything. Regardless of what other countries do what multitude of variations with respect to universal health care, how our system will work if we move to single payer totally depends on a lot of the specifics of how a U.S. single payer plan would be designed. You can read about those considerations here: https://www.cbo.gov/system/files/2019-05/55150-singlepayer.pdf
True. The US could devise a public health insurance for all program that costs far more than any other country with a similar national health insurance plan.