Bennet: Medicare for all supporters need to be honest with the people

Sep 2013
On a hill
It would have to cost far more than any other country, because our health care already carries these higher prices. If implementing single payer caused our health care to cost similar to other nations, it would have to be because our new system makes Draconian reductions to benefit levels (which it couldn't realistically do or everyone would reject it).

Cost is only one important consideration though. There are numerous others.
The middleman demands to be paid.

If a hospital can offer me a 50% discount if paid upfront, then there is some serious wiggle home when it comes to actual cost.

Sep 2013
On a hill
That’s a fair point, but I’m not asking for private insurance companies to be banned. Just neutered. A public option would do that, and I think would he a huge boon to small businesses. People who insist on risking financial ruin by abstaining from insurance are welcome to do so, and even welcome to come crying to the nanny state when they are bankrupt.

You don’t believe there is a social contract between people and the government?
That is exactly why insurance companies lobbied against the public option.

Feb 2011
The formerly great golden state
They are neutered by the fact that you are free to not do business with them. Trump neutered them when he killed the individual mandate.

As long as said "public option" is wholly funded by user fees, I've got no problem with it. I might even willingly join if it's done well.

As it should be in a free country.

And they should be denied. It's not the state's responsibility to bail them out from a gambling loss.

I don't believe in contracts that aren't specifically defined and willingly signed by both parties.

About that "individual mandate:"

If someone decides to gamble by not having medical insurance, they still get to go to the emergency room. The insurance ratepayers and taxpayers pay for that.

Why shouldn't they have to pay a fee to defray the costs to the rest of us?

Or, should an uninsured person unable to pay be barred from using the emergency room? Sorry, Charlie, you can't pay. Bummer that you flipped your motorcycle and landed in a cow pasture with a broken neck. I guess we'll just have to leave your here.

Mar 2019
California
Sen. Michael Bennet suggested Monday that the “Medicare for All” proposals touted by many of his Democratic primary opponents may not be as popular as they seem, telling CNN that candidates should "be honest" with voters about the realities of such health care policies.

“When you tell people the first thing about Medicare for All — either that it takes insurance away from 180 million Americans that have it through their employer or the taxes we would have to pay to afford that $30 trillion program — that 70 percent support falls to the mid-30s,” Bennet said on CNN's "New Day." “I think we need to level with the American people.”

Instead of a Medicare for All health care plan, the Colorado senator touted the “Medicare X” proposal he and Sen. Tim Kaine (D-Va.) rolled out last month that would allow for a public health care option, modeled after Medicaid, to be made available alongside private insurance. The proposal “allows people to choose for their families what's best for them in terms of insurance and in terms of primary care,” Bennet said.

Bennet: Medicare for All supporters 'need to level with the American people'
Don't like it much, but at least ONE Dem is making some sense.

Apr 2018
oregon
If someone decides to gamble by not having medical insurance, they still get to go to the emergency room. The insurance ratepayers and taxpayers pay for that.
They shouldn't. Two wrongs don't make a right.
Those who use the ER without paying should certainly be billed. Those who don't should not.
Or, should an uninsured person unable to pay be barred from using the emergency room?
That should be up to the hospital. If they want to treat the uninsured, they can.
Sorry, Charlie, you can't pay. Bummer that you flipped your motorcycle and landed in a cow pasture with a broken neck. I guess we'll just have to leave your here
Choices have consequences, including the choice to forego insurance and riding motorcycles without said insurance.

Mar 2019
California
About that "individual mandate:"

Or, should an uninsured person unable to pay be barred from using the emergency room? Sorry, Charlie, you can't pay. Bummer that you flipped your motorcycle and landed in a cow pasture with a broken neck. I guess we'll just have to leave your here.
So folks should get penalized for making a PERSONAL choice? You start by "Mandating" stuff,it never ends. The Gov't tried to "Mandate' that banks give Sub-Prime loans to deadbeats. Look what happened.

Feb 2011
The formerly great golden state
So folks should get penalized for making a PERSONAL choice? You start by "Mandating" stuff,it never ends. The Gov't tried to "Mandate' that banks give Sub-Prime loans to deadbeats. Look what happened.

and if someone, through their own poor choices, winds up in a cow pasture with a mangled motorcycle and a broken neck, then he should just be left there to his own devices? Are you in favor of ending the policy of providing emergency medical care regardless of the ability to pay?

Is that really your position?

Should someone at least bury the body after the poor sap dies?

Mar 2019
California
and if someone, through their own poor choices, winds up in a cow pasture with a mangled motorcycle and a broken neck, then he should just be left there to his own devices? Are you in favor of ending the policy of providing emergency medical care regardless of the ability to pay?

Is that really your position?

Should someone at least bury the body after the poor sap dies?
So the Gov't should start mandating stuff on folks "For Their Own Good" ? Seems that Libs have a low opinion of personal choice. And a low opinion of the American People.