Bennet: Medicare for all supporters need to be honest with the people

May 2012
By the wall
Long before there was an ACA, my policy changed nearly every year. Pencil pushers looking to save money here and there are always tinkering with what is covered and what isn’t. People act like policies were graven in stone until Obama came along.

Ridiculous.
Mine didn't.

Sorry you had sucky insurance but that's your problem.

Feb 2011
The formerly great golden state
So the Gov't should start mandating stuff on folks "For Their Own Good" ? Seems that Libs have a low opinion of personal choice. And a low opinion of the American People.
The choice is:
We either give emergency care to people regardless of the ability to pay,
or we don't.

And, if we do, then the choice is we do it for free,
or we don't.

My position is that we provide emergency care, but we charge a fee for that service.

Is yours:
We don't provide emergency care,
We do provide emergency care for free,
We do provide emergency care, but we charge a fee?

Or is there a fourth position I've left off?

Mar 2019
Portland, OR
Sen. Michael Bennet suggested Monday that the “Medicare for All” proposals touted by many of his Democratic primary opponents may not be as popular as they seem, telling CNN that candidates should "be honest" with voters about the realities of such health care policies.

“When you tell people the first thing about Medicare for All — either that it takes insurance away from 180 million Americans that have it through their employer or the taxes we would have to pay to afford that $30 trillion program — that 70 percent support falls to the mid-30s,” Bennet said on CNN's "New Day." “I think we need to level with the American people.”

Instead of a Medicare for All health care plan, the Colorado senator touted the “Medicare X” proposal he and Sen. Tim Kaine (D-Va.) rolled out last month that would allow for a public health care option, modeled after Medicaid, to be made available alongside private insurance. The proposal “allows people to choose for their families what's best for them in terms of insurance and in terms of primary care,” Bennet said.

Bennet: Medicare for All supporters 'need to level with the American people'
I don't like the current Medicare for all proposals proposed by the far left. Other developed nations have smart cost reducing measures that make their universal healthcare cheaper than American Medicare and Medicaid and allow private insurance and private hospitals.

I think we should have the public option with a bronze, silver, and gold plans of the public option. The gold plan will cover more expensive treatments, cover a higher percent of the bill, with a lower out of pocket cap, and have lower deductibles. The bronze plan and the silver plan to a less extent will be very cost effective and prefer cheaper treatments if possible but will still be ok insurance. All plans will have great coverage for preventative care and will aggressively negotiate prices down with hospitals and drug companies.

Veterans will get subsidies that will completely cover the gold plan, seniors will get subsidies that make the silver plan very affordable, and the poor and middle class will get subsidies that make the bronze plan very affordable. We can replace Medicare, Medicaid, and Veterans benefits with these plans. People will be free to purchase any public option plan, private insurance for the things the public option doesn't cover, or use their whole subsidy for just private insurance.

I'd eliminate the employer mandate and allow employers to use the public option for their employee's healthcare, and require that employers refund employees with the full employer part of health insurance posts if the employee opts out of the employer plan. This will be paid for with a larger version of our current payroll tax. We will also make cost effective non-profit public hospitals that public insurance will cover along with private hospitals.

Apr 2012
So far all the talk about Medicare for all has been too vague to know how it would work.

It seems strange that there has been so little talk about how it works in other countries. But that is probably because the media and Democratic leadership are against endangering the healthcare revenue they now enjoy. Keep the voters ignorant and keep those campaign donations and advertising revenue rolling in.

Feb 2011
The formerly great golden state
So far all the talk about Medicare for all has been too vague to know how it would work.

It seems strange that there has been so little talk about how it works in other countries. But that is probably because the media and Democratic leadership are against endangering the healthcare revenue they now enjoy. Keep the voters ignorant and keep those campaign donations and advertising revenue rolling in.
No one wants to stand up to the health insurance lobby, or to big pharma.
But creating a workable system that would actually save money requires that Congress do just that.

I'll believe a plan exists when I see it.

Aug 2018
Vancouver
I never get tired of hearing how the national health system of every developed country except one, created in the 1930s and never having any political ideology of any stripe in any country ever try to change back, could just never possibly work.