Berkeley Bake Sale: Pay by race

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
lol wtf.. what a buncha whiney victims.
btw, asians should be on top of that list. UC wants use SB185 to pass affirmative action for the whities, durr sign maker.

New UC admissions policy angers Asians - US news - Race & ethnicity - msnbc.com

The new policy, approved unanimously by the UC Board of Regents in February, will greatly expand the applicant pool, eliminate the requirement that applicants take two SAT subject tests and reduce the number of students guaranteed admission based on grades and test scores alone. It takes effect for the freshman class of fall 2012.

Asian-American advocates, parents and lawmakers are angrily calling on the university to rescind the policy, which will apply at all nine of the system's undergraduate campuses. They point to a UC projection that said the new standards would sharply reduce Asian-American admissions while resulting in little change for blacks and Hispanics, and a big gain for white students.

"I like to call it affirmative action for whites," said Ling-chi Wang, a retired professor at UC Berkeley. "I think it's extremely unfair to Asian-Americans on the one hand and underrepresented minorities on the other." Asian-Americans are the single largest ethnic group among UC's 173,000 undergraduates. In 2008, they accounted for 40 percent at UCLA and 43 percent at UC Berkeley — the two most selective campuses in the UC system — as well as 50 percent at UC San Diego and 54 percent at UC Irvine. Asian-Americans are about 12 percent of California's population and 4 percent of the U.S. population overall.
...snips...

Sparta

Former Staff
Aug 2006
Connecticut
I'm trying to get this statement to make some sort of sense:

"I think it's extremely unfair to Asian-Americans on the one hand and underrepresented minorities on the other."
In the context of these numbers:

Asian-Americans accounted for 40 percent (of minorities) at UCLA and 43 percent at UC Berkeley — the two most selective campuses in the UC system — as well as 50 percent at UC San Diego and 54 percent at UC Irvine. Asian-Americans are about 12 percent of California's population and 4 percent of the U.S. population overall.

jackalope

Former Staff
Jan 2010
Maine
New TED had a thread on this, you should merge it here. His solution was funny. Find a Native American woman, snap up all the baked goods, and open a new bake sale on the spot - everything 50 cents, proceeds to re-purchase stolen land =)

[MENTION=17312]Tactical Evil Dan[/MENTION]

Feb 2011
Boise, ID
New TED had a thread on this, you should merge it here. His solution was funny. Find a Native American woman, snap up all the baked goods, and open a new bake sale on the spot - everything 50 cents, proceeds to re-purchase stolen land =)

[MENTION=17312]Tactical Evil Dan[/MENTION]
Yeah that would be the ultimate backfire.

Reactions: jackalope