Beto O’Rourke used to be a member of a legendary computer hacktivist group

Oct 2013
USA
The Gen X computer wiz was a member of the Cult of the Dead Cow hacker group. Before you get your panties in a bunch all this means is that as a nerd kid he is part of that BBS timeframe history as his time was before Windows 95 that actually helped introduce the public to the Internet world. His was the time pre-public awareness. There were a few prodigy gurus in every city. We called the few we knew Garage Gurus as many of them built and supplied non-propriety IBM clone computers from their garages that allowed many more to get away from the business training wheels of Apple in his time. BBS was not known by most of the public pre-windows 95. So in honor of the Nerds I knew, I can't think of anyone better than those who pioneered pre-Windows days for the inspiration they delivered. There is much more to that legendary Beto than I was aware of.

Dec 2018
the Heart of America
The Gen X computer wiz was a member of the Cult of the Dead Cow hacker group. Before you get your panties in a bunch all this means is that as a nerd kid he is part of that BBS timeframe history as his time was before Windows 95 that actually helped introduce the public to the Internet world. His was the time pre-public awareness. There were a few prodigy gurus in every city. We called the few we knew Garage Gurus as many of them built and supplied non-propriety IBM clone computers from their garages that allowed many more to get away from the business training wheels of Apple in his time. BBS was not known by most of the public pre-windows 95. So in honor of the Nerds I knew, I can't think of anyone better than those who pioneered pre-Windows days for the inspiration they delivered. There is much more to that legendary Beto than I was aware of.

Now you're going to get the RWers all upset. They're still having a meltdown over the fantasy story he wrote at 15 from the murderer's POV. Wait until they find out he smoked pot in college, it'll blow the roof off the RWNJ HQ!

Reactions: Minotaur
Oct 2013
USA
Now you're going to get the RWers all upset. They're still having a meltdown over the fantasy story he wrote at 15 from the murderer's POV. Wait until they find out he smoked pot in college, it'll blow the roof off the RWNJ HQ!
I am finding Beto to be the most interesting person running considering his entire quirky brilliant life story. Looks like Gen X finally has a person who shows GenX had more depth than how they were labeled. Intriguing. Pot, punk rock, legendary BBS hacker group, lawmaker and more make him more representative of GenX and Millennial changes coming.

May 2013
N Oregon Coast

All those early computer guys dabbled in hacking to one degree or another. At the time, it was mostly harmless - they weren't stealing credit card info or identities. They did it mostly for shits-n-giggles and what they learned has helped us to better control todays bad-ass hacker.

May 2013
N Oregon Coast
I am finding Beto to be the most interesting person running considering his entire quirky brilliant life story. Looks like Gen X finally has a person who shows GenX had more depth than how they were labeled. Intriguing. Pot, punk rock, legendary BBS hacker group, lawmaker and more make him more representative of GenX and Millennial changes coming.
Well said, I really kept my eye on him during that Texas race and was impressed.

He literally set foot in every county in the state.

Texas has 254 counties. Beto O’Rourke has campaigned against Ted Cruz in each of them.

Pretty impressive for one so progressive to have lost by two and a half points to a R incumbent in a state so red!

Reactions: Minotaur
Oct 2013
USA
All those early computer guys dabbled in hacking to one degree or another. At the time, it was mostly harmless - they weren't stealing credit card info or identities. They did it mostly for shits-n-giggles and what they learned has helped us to better control todays bad-ass hacker.
They multitasked back in the day as they were the experts in every community. They were who you called to design software utilizing DOS, built IBM clone computers for public consumption, opened computer businesses after Windows95 release, were contracted by top companies for specific needs, tracked bad hackers and more. Hell they were even asked to teach college computer courses during the time when computer courses were not available in community colleges. They were brainy and exciting and very much like Bill Gates in that timeframe.

Beto co-founded an internet provider and software business. In his spare time was also a writer proofreader, and wrote short stories and songs. Then he got into politics with the same gusto as he had with his artistic endeavors. He is really unique.

Last edited:

Davocrat

Former Staff
Apr 2007
Deep State
I know. You'd think that he inappropriately groped women and bragged about it or something.

May 2013
N Oregon Coast
They multitasked back in the day as they were the experts in every community. They were who you called to design software utilizing DOS, built IBM clone computers for public consumption, opened computer businesses after Windows95 release, were contracted by top companies for specific needs, tracked bad hackers and more. Hell they were even asked to teach college computer courses during the time when computer courses were not available in community colleges. They were brainy and exciting and very much like Bill Gates in that timeframe.

Beto co-founded an internet provider and software business. In his spare time was also a writer proofreader, and wrote short stories and songs. Then he got into politics with the same gusto as he had with his artistic endeavors. He is really unique.
You probably saw this - but just in case .. It would be nice to have a president who actually reads, has a sense of history, intellectual curiosity, and understands technology beyond the Twitter Machine.

Behind the door, in the O’Rourke living room, a floor-to-ceiling bookshelf contains a section for rock memoirs (Bob Dylan’s Chronicles, a favorite) and a stack of LPs (the Clash, Nina Simone) but also a sizable collection of presidential biographies, including Robert Caro’s work on Lyndon B. Johnson. Arranged in historical order, the biographies suggest there’s been some reflection on the gravity of the presidency. But there’s also some political poetry to it, a sense that O’Rourke might be destined for this shelf.

Riding Around with Beto O’Rourke as He Comes to Grips with a Presidential Run

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Weirdo

Congratulations Beto. So was like every nerd who had a computer and 14.4 in the late 70s and 80s.

PHIRM
LOD

Both far more legendary than a group who made up the word "1337" (Leet = Elite)