Beyond XX and XY: The Extraordinary Complexity of Sex Determination

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
Source: Scientific American - Media Bias Check

A host of factors figure into whether someone is female, male or somewhere in between.

Humans are socially conditioned to view sex and gender as binary attributes. From the moment we are born—or even before—we are definitively labeled “boy” or “girl.” Yet science points to a much more ambiguous reality. Determination of biological sex is staggeringly complex, involving not only anatomy but an intricate choreography of genetic and chemical factors that unfolds over time. Intersex individuals—those for whom sexual development follows an atypical trajectory—are characterized by a diverse range of conditions, such as 5-alpha reductase deficiency. A small cross section of these conditions and the pathways they follow is shown here. In an additional layer of complexity, the gender with which a person identifies does not always align with the sex they* are assigned at birth, and they may not be wholly male or female. The more we learn about sex and gender, the more these attributes appear to exist on a spectrum.
But as many have said all along, "sex" is not a purely binary issue. As illustrated by the graphic, and explained in the article, there are myriad factors in play, several of which are named in the graphic.

I suspect that PH will shrink the graphic, but if you click it (then double-click it?), the image should enlarge to the point of readability.

Jun 2014
United States
Bigoted idiots don't care about complexities. I've made these arguments over and over, they just ignore it because their mind is so simple they can only think in terms of black and white

Well, we have to be careful about where we allow our citizens to take a piss, you know.

Civilization will crumble before our very eyes if we let folks piss in the wrong toilet.

Jul 2015
Florida

A host of factors figure into whether someone is female, male or somewhere in between.

But as many have said all along, "sex" is not a purely binary issue. As illustrated by the graphic, and explained in the article, there are myriad factors in play, several of which are named in the graphic.

I suspect that PH will shrink the graphic, but if you click it (then double-click it?), the image should enlarge to the point of readability.

I'll look at the chart later (I gotta get some S done!) but the physiology, though having adapted to PROCREATE the species, has/had some 'glitches' along the way.

My concern is what shit is in the environment over the past 1/2 century that may be creating more 'glitches'.

And remember everyone STARTS OUT as a 'girl'.

Jul 2013
Nashville, TN
I'll look at the chart later (I gotta get some S done!) but the physiology, though having adapted to PROCREATE the species, has/had some 'glitches' along the way.

My concern is what shit is in the environment over the past 1/2 century that may be creating more 'glitches'.

I think it is just the increase in raw numbers, over half the humans that ever lived are alive today....

Reactions: Friday13 and labrea
Apr 2014
The liberal commie infested, queer loving north ea

Excellent post and so true. I only wish that the Orange Ogre in the White House, and his moronic minions would read it:

Trump Admin. Preparing to Deny Trans People Exist, Erase Protections

Trump Admin. Preparing to Deny Trans People Exist, Erase Protections

Reactions: Friday13 and Coyote
Dec 2006
required field
More or less. Kind of both. At 7 weeks, the uterus is flooded with hormones that cause the sexual organs to start to develop. If the uterus is flooded with the "wrong" or ambiguous hormones, it can develop an intersex condition. At around 12 weeks, the uterus is again flooded with hormones to start organizing the brain cells. If the uterus is flooded with the "wrong" or ambiguous hormones, it may develop a transgender condition, early or later in life.

This is all from memory, so I don't have any links handy and the exact week numbers might be off. In any case, it's a really simplified version of what happens to a fetus in the first few months of gestation. I learned about this stuff years ago, because you don't just wake up one day and decide to permanently change your body and your relationship with every single person you ever knew without researching everything you can about it first.

Jul 2015
Florida
Well, we have to be careful about where we allow our citizens to take a piss, you know.

Civilization will crumble before our very eyes if we let folks piss in the wrong toilet.
So last year at the WOMEN'S MARCH, we stood in line to the at the bathroom at the East Wing of the National Gallery of Art. It had BATHROOMS and a huge cafeteria. It was packed. One bathroom line about 1/3 the length of the other. Guess which was which? So I motioned for the women in the long line to move over to the shorter line. By the time I left both lines were a complete mix of men and women. Men and women were chatting in line--to each other. No one got one pissed. A little bit of laughing.

NO ONE GAVE A SHIT!! No arrests. The world and the museum are still standing.

Reactions: Friday13
Jun 2014
United States
So last year at the WOMEN'S MARCH, we stood in line to the at the bathroom at the East Wing of the National Gallery of Art. It had BATHROOMS and a huge cafeteria. It was packed. One bathroom line about 1/3 the length of the other. Guess which was which? So I motioned for the women in the long line to move over to the shorter line. By the time I left both lines were a complete mix of men and women. Men and women were chatting in line--to each other. No one got one pissed. A little bit of laughing.

NO ONE GAVE A SHIT!! No arrests. The world and the museum are still standing.

Incredible! ;)