Beyond XX and XY: The Extraordinary Complexity of Sex Determination

Feb 2015
sadness
Source: Scientific American - Media Bias Check

A host of factors figure into whether someone is female, male or somewhere in between.

But as many have said all along, "sex" is not a purely binary issue. As illustrated by the graphic, and explained in the article, there are myriad factors in play, several of which are named in the graphic.

I suspect that PH will shrink the graphic, but if you click it (then double-click it?), the image should enlarge to the point of readability.

agreed.... that is sex. Very few have extra X or Y thrown in.

Sex it is not what they whine about..... gender is. I swear they need to keep track of this little fact.

They will always be the same sex. The sex that their DNA says they are. Dig up bones when nothing else is left...and those bones will be either male or female.

How they want to express/feel/think about themselves.... is their gender.

Nov 2015
UK
agreed.... that is sex. Very few have extra X or Y thrown in.

Sex it is not what they whine about..... gender is. I swear they need to keep track of this little fact.

They will always be the same sex. The sex that their DNA says they are. Dig up bones when nothing else is left...and those bones will be either male or female.

How they want to express/feel/think about themselves.... is their gender.
When an archaeologist finds human remains, why is it they determine they're from a man or a woman?

We live in crazy times.