Biden’s Gaffes and Blunders Tracker

May 2007
your place
I oppose Bernie to a much greater extent than I do Joe Biden. Trump would EASILY defeat Bernie Sanders. There is NO ONE he would rather run against than Bernie Sanders.....except POSSIBY Elizabeth Warren. But Bernie Sanders and Joe Biden do share one particular handicap in common, and with the current President: They are ALL too fucking OLD.

If you forget what the media says and look at history, Sanders does better at campaigning and resonating with voters than Biden. Biden is as good a choice there is in matching Clinton. He has a terrible voting record in terms of things that Trump will be able to use to splinter support for Biden.

Biden is a champion for the war on drugs but marijuana legalization is favored by a majority of voters. Biden sided up with segregationists when the political winds blew that way. He sided up with credit card companies over consumers. The list goes on.

He even recently said China doesn’t pose a threat.

Each individual thing will be used against him to cause a lack of enthusiasm amoung specific groups of voters.

Jan 2016
Colorado
If you forget what the media says and look at history, Sanders does better at campaigning and resonating with voters than Biden. Biden is as good a choice there is in matching Clinton. He has a terrible voting record in terms of things that Trump will be able to use to splinter support for Biden.

Biden is a champion for the war on drugs but marijuana legalization is favored by a majority of voters. Biden sided up with segregationists when the political winds blew that way. He sided up with credit card companies over consumers. The list goes on.

He even recently said China doesn’t pose a threat.

Each individual thing will be used against him to cause a lack of enthusiasm amoung specific groups of voters.
Yes, and I have criticized Biden harshly for his China comments. I think marijuana legalization will be a secondary issue in the campaign. An issue, yes, but NOT one of the top eight issues on the minds of American voters.

Are you disputing that Trump wants to run against Bernie Sanders more than he does against any other Dem candidate out there? Trump would find it EASY to paint Bernie Sanders as wanting to turn America into Venezuela, and at LEAST 45% of the public would believe him, and that would Trump very close to the finish line, right off the bat.

Reactions: Panzareta
Jul 2013
On a happy trail
Your “1%” stat is fiction.

Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq Resolution of 2002 - Wikipedia

• 215 (96.4%) of 223 Republican Representatives voted for the resolution.
  • 82 (39.2%) of 209 Democratic Representatives voted for the resolution.
  • 6 (<2.7%) of 223 Republican Representatives voted against the resolution: Reps. Duncan (R-TN), Hostettler (R-IN), Houghton (R-NY), Leach (R-IA), Morella (R-MD), Paul(R-TX).
  • 126 (~60.3%) of 209 Democratic Representatives voted against the resolution.
  • The only Independent Representative voted against the resolution: Rep. Sanders (I-VT)
I think he meant the war in Afghanistan.

May 2007
your place
Yes, and I have criticized Biden harshly for his China comments. I think marijuana legalization will be a secondary issue in the campaign. An issue, yes, but NOT one of the top eight issues on the minds of American voters.

Are you disputing that Trump wants to run against Bernie Sanders more than he does against any other Dem candidate out there? Trump would find it EASY to paint Bernie Sanders as wanting to turn America into Venezuela, and at LEAST 45% of the public would believe him, and that would Trump very close to the finish line, right off the bat.
Marijuana will be a bigger issue than you think. The fact that Biden has championed the racist war on drugs and has remained steadfast against the legalization of marijuana would cost votes in a general election against Trump. I am not saying it will sway votes. I am saying it will suppress enthusiasm for Biden and cause a small percentage of voters to stay home. It is also an example of Biden being out of touch. Besides that he is wrong. The war on drugs has been a dismal failure.

Each one of Biden’s positions or past votes that is out of line with what Democrats want will be individually used to chip away support and create apathy. Trump won several states by small margins. The republicans know how effective it is to hammer away at messages that resonate with targeted blocs of voters. The “China Joe” nick name may sound silly but that message would be repeated relentlessly in the states where working class voters perceive that China is taking manufacturing jobs from Americans.

Jan 2016
Colorado
Marijuana will be a bigger issue than you think. The fact that Biden has championed the racist war on drugs and has remained steadfast against the legalization of marijuana would cost votes in a general election against Trump. I am not saying it will sway votes. I am saying it will suppress enthusiasm for Biden and cause a small percentage of voters to stay home. It is also an example of Biden being out of touch. Besides that he is wrong. The war on drugs has been a dismal failure.

Each one of Biden’s positions or past votes that is out of line with what Democrats want will be individually used to chip away support and create apathy. Trump won several states by small margins. The republicans know how effective it is to hammer away at messages that resonate with targeted blocs of voters. The “China Joe” nick name may sound silly but that message would be repeated relentlessly in the states where working class voters perceive that China is taking manufacturing jobs from Americans.
I don't disagree with any of this. Well-argued.

Still not quite convinced marijuana will be one of the top EIGHT issues. One of the top ten, yeah.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire

I saw on the news today at the Machinists Union convention in DC that many machinists were not pleased with Biden over that comment. Klobuchar, Booker, Warren and Sanders are speakers there.

Jan 2016
Colorado
I don't disagree with any of this. Well-argued.

Still not quite convinced marijuana will be one of the top EIGHT issues. One of the top ten, yeah.
To suggest those eight issues that I think will be MORE important on the minds of voters:

(1) Healthcare. This will probably be the BIGGEST issue next year.

(2) Wages. The availability of good-PAYING jobs is still an issue, even though there are plenty of jobs.

(3) Climate change. It is here, NOW, and I think more Americans are realizing this.

(4) The long-run challenge that the rise of China poses to America, in science and technology, in particular.

(5) Education: very much related to the previous issue.

(6) Ongoing involvement in the Middle East and the ongoing battle against terrorism. Foreign policy more broadly. Venezuela may still be a crisis next year. It may be a BIGGER crisis.

(7) Trump. Trump. Trump. His ongoing defiance of the law, of legal subpoenas, and so forth.

(8) Race relations and immigration issues.

(9) The ballooning budget deficit and national debt!!

Last edited:
Mar 2012
New Hampshire
To suggest those eight issues that I think will be MORE important on the minds of voters:

(1) Healthcare. This will probably be the BIGGEST issue next year.

(2) Wages. The availability of good-PAYING jobs is still an issue, even though there are plenty of jobs.

(3) Climate change. It is here, NOW, and I think more Americans are realizing this.

(4) The long-run challenge that the rise of China poses to America, in science and technology, in particular.

(5) Education: very much related to the previous issue.

(6) Ongoing involvement in the Middle East and the ongoing battle against terrorism. Foreign policy more broadly. Venezuela may still be a crisis next year. It may be a BIGGER crisis.

(7) Trump. Trump. Trump. His ongoing defiance of the law, of legal subpoenas, and so forth.

(8) Race relations and immigration issues.
I agree nationally with all those. However, if we break it down electorally, I think one of the biggest will be tariffs and trade. Just mentioned in another thread how I watched a bit of the National machinists conference today with Klobuchar and Booker speaking. TPP was soundly booed as was NAFTA. Took them by surprise. Saw one guy with a sign that said "we need more tariffs against China." Its going to be a bigger issue in a few states and not in others.