Biden: "I am more of a democrat from my shoe sole to my ears than anyone else running"

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Those are all legitimate concerns. It seems we have Hobson’s choice. We choose a malleable Democratic moderate that may work with the GOP and pass legislation that could fail as “Republican lite” policies. Or we could choose a progressive idealist who will get little or nothing done because the GOP(even as minority) with the help of Blue Dog dems will likely put the kibosh on any initiatives getting passed.

Pick your poison...
Bidens strategy seems a lot like Hillarys was. He is banking on the "vote blue no matter who" mantra. We just had a guy last week that was a lifelong republican who deliberately switched to D so he could run as a mayor. He knew the Ds had the momentum and few would care. He was right and won. People did vote blue no matter who.

Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC
Former Vice President Joe Biden said on Monday that he was more of a Democrat than most of the candidates running in the 2020 Democratic primary.

"I'm more of a Democrat from my shoe sole to my ears than about anybody running in this party, OK?" Biden told an audience at a CNN town hall in Grinnell, Iowa. Biden was responding to a Medium post he wrote last week, in which he criticized progressive Sen. Elizabeth Warren's (D-Mass.) approach to politics.

"Including her?" host Erin Burnett asked.

"Including everyone," he responded.

The two candidates traded barbs last week after Warren suggested Biden's reasons for not supporting "Medicare for All" seemed like they were coming from someone “running in the wrong presidential primary.” Biden fired back in the Medium post without naming Warren, saying “these kinds of attacks are a serious problem” and “reflect an angry unyielding viewpoint that has crept into our politics.”

The former vice president also said that such an “approach to politics” is “condescending” and “elitist.” "I wasn't talking about her," Biden said on Monday. "I was talking about the attitude that 'if you don't agree with me, get in the other party.' "

"my shoe sole to my ears"....?

Okay, not to be picky. But that was at least a little bit weird.

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
I think one has to realize that Bidens success hinges on all those NeverTrump republicans and right leaning indies crossing over to vote for him. Thats his approach. He knows they wont vote for Warren so he thinks this tactic will work. He also is banking on the fact that people dislike Trump so much they would vote for anyone. It didnt work in 2016, but it could in 2020 as more people know Trump.
That's fine, but would it kill him to offer specifics on what he would do and how he would do it? All the other candidates are answering those questions & many of them had the balls to put bold proposals out there instead of offering "like/don't like" positions with no substance.

Also I find the soul of America thing kind of arrogant as Biden has always lead from behind. He's sided with the establishment of both parties too often for me to expect him to not do the same as president.

Plus, why would people who voted for Trump because they were disappointed in Obama & felt Hillary was an extension of that administration vote for Obama's VP?

Reactions: Eve1

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
Those are all legitimate concerns. It seems we have Hobson’s choice. We choose a malleable Democratic moderate that may work with the GOP and pass legislation that could fail as “Republican lite” policies. Or we could choose a progressive idealist who will get little or nothing done because the GOP(even as minority) with the help of Blue Dog dems will likely put the kibosh on any initiatives getting passed.

Pick your poison...
I'd rather have an underperforming progressive than an overperforming centrist. The goal isn't just to pass legislation, it's to pass good legislation.

Reactions: Jets

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader

Pick your poison...
Of course, it would also depend on the makeup of Congress. I think Biden gets more done with than Warren does, especially if a Republican Congress, but even with a Democratic Congress, for reasons you state.

Reactions: Jets