Biden: I wasn't ready for Kamala Harris to attack me that way

Dec 2015
In Your Heart!
Biden: I wasn't ready for Kamala Harris to attack me that way
"What I didn’t want to do was get into that scrum," Biden said of the Democratic debate.
By Jane C. Timm

“I was prepared for them to come after me,” Biden said in a one-on-one interview with CNN's Chris Cuomo. “But I wasn’t prepared for the person coming after me the way she came after me. She knew Beau, she knows me,” the former vice president said, referring to his deceased son, Beau Biden, who worked as a state attorney general like Harris."
"Asked whether his debate performance undercut his presentation of himself as able to take on Trump, Biden said he can spar."
"I'm looking forward to this, man," he said. "The idea that I'd be intimidated by Donald Trump? He’s the bully that I knew my whole life. He’s the bully that I’ve always stood up to. He’s the bully that used to make fun when I was a kid that I stutter, and I’d smack him in the mouth."

###############################################################################################
Indeed Joe Biden isn't cowering out from the last debate. He has come back hitting hard with the facts. The great division that Kamala Harris caused was unwarranted and uncalled for but it is done and now we need to move ahead and assure that the Democratic Party remains cohesive during this important time in order to win in 2020.

HCProf

Council Hall
Sep 2014
USA
She only did it because she wanted to bounce his polls down. That was all. Why bring up a failed policy from over 40 years ago if this were not her intent. She seems to be the most pandering and fake candidate in the line up. This is a perfect example of how Democrats circle their wagons for poll results and she got what she wanted. His poll numbers dropped.

Jul 2014
midwest
She only did it because she wanted to bounce his polls down. That was all. Why bring up a failed policy from over 40 years ago if this were not her intent. She seems to be the most pandering and fake candidate in the line up. This is a perfect example of how Democrats circle their wagons for poll results and she got what she wanted. His poll numbers dropped.
True, of course, but he should not have been surprised and unprepared.

He's been in politics most of his life.

Being number one in the polls made him a natural target.

No excuse...

HCProf

Council Hall
Sep 2014
USA
True, of course, but he should not have been surprised and unprepared.

He's been in politics most of his life.

Being number one in the polls made him a natural target.

No excuse...
I agree. I think he got duped by perceived friendship with Harris. He should have known that friends do not exist in politics. The part that bothered me, Biden was a sitting VP during the Obama administration and Harris is a Democrat. There should have been a little respect for that. Maybe she did not learn how to respect people, who knows, but it was straight up a smear hit that was so obvious to turn the voters against him. He didn't hit her back because he was old school, she is female and a Democrat. The same way he did not destroy Palin when they were debating years ago.

Reactions: Akosikojak
Jan 2016
Colorado
I agree. I think he got duped by perceived friendship with Harris. He should have known that friends do not exist in politics. The part that bothered me, Biden was a sitting VP during the Obama administration and Harris is a Democrat. There should have been a little respect for that. Maybe she did not learn how to respect people, who knows, but it was straight up a smear hit that was so obvious to turn the voters against him. He didn't hit her back because he was old school, she is female and a Democrat. The same way he did not destroy Palin when they were debating years ago.
Politics ain't beanbag. If poor old Joe Biden can't handle the heat, he should get out of the kitchen.

It is perfectly NATURAL for the other candidates to be attacking the front-runner, and Joe is still the front-runner. The other Democrats running are going to be going after Joe Biden, too. Kamala just happened to fire the first shot.

Reactions: TennesseeRain
Nov 2018
Maryland
I thought what Harris did was pretty dirty. Biden wasn't prepared because as it's already been said -- Biden is old school.

Harris is rising, but I don't think she deserves the accolades. She's a dirty player and I would never want to see her in the White House.

Reactions: orangecat

HCProf

Council Hall
Sep 2014
USA
Politics ain't beanbag. If poor old Joe Biden can't handle the heat, he should get out of the kitchen.

It is perfectly NATURAL for the other candidates to be attacking the front-runner, and Joe is still the front-runner. The other Democrats running are going to be going after Joe Biden, too. Kamala just happened to fire the first shot.
They will end up destroying their own to make sure that the most loudest idiot will get the nominee. Just wait and see what comes out on Mayor Pete, who is one of the best ones running. After the last couple of years with Trump, I think Americans have higher expectations than a school yard brawl involving 20 candidates. It is a turn off and this time around, I think they should change tactics and start talking about what Americans really want and need instead of rehashing bullshit from over 30 years ago. It was a low blow and I had hopes that Democrats were better than that.

Jul 2014
midwest
Actually, friends DO exist in politics.

As long as they can help each other out.

When they start competing for the same thing....all bets are off...

Reactions: BitterPill

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Why wouldn't he have been ready? Booker had been trying to dunk on him all week. Why wouldn't he think someone else wasn't going to try?

But I think this is great. Democrats now either have to take a stand against forced bussing and alienate their hard left base or they have to take a stand for it and alienate everyone else.

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Why wouldn't he have been ready? Booker had been trying to dunk on him all week. Why wouldn't he think someone else wasn't going to try?

But I think this is great. Democrats now either have to take a stand against forced bussing and alienate their hard left base or they have to take a stand for it and alienate everyone else.
Or the third option, which is the media ignored the obvious questions just to let the Democrat candidates off the hook.