Bill Barr blasts Trumps tweets

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
In an exclusive interview, Attorney General Bill Barr told ABC News on Thursday that President Donald Trump "has never asked me to do anything in a criminal case” but should stop tweeting about the Justice Department because his tweets “make it impossible for me to do my job.”

Barr’s comments are a rare break with a president who the attorney general has aligned himself with and fiercely defended. But it also puts Barr in line with many of Trump’s supporters on Capitol Hill who say they support the president but wish he’d cut back on his tweets.

“I think it’s time to stop the tweeting about Department of Justice criminal cases,” Barr told ABC News Chief Justice Correspondent Pierre Thomas.

When asked if he was prepared for the consequences of criticizing the president – his boss – Barr said “of course” because his job is to run the Justice Department and make decisions on “what I think is the right thing to do.”

Nov 2014
North Carolina
In an exclusive interview, Attorney General Bill Barr told ABC News on Thursday that President Donald Trump "has never asked me to do anything in a criminal case” but should stop tweeting about the Justice Department because his tweets “make it impossible for me to do my job.”

Barr’s comments are a rare break with a president who the attorney general has aligned himself with and fiercely defended. But it also puts Barr in line with many of Trump’s supporters on Capitol Hill who say they support the president but wish he’d cut back on his tweets.

“I think it’s time to stop the tweeting about Department of Justice criminal cases,” Barr told ABC News Chief Justice Correspondent Pierre Thomas.

When asked if he was prepared for the consequences of criticizing the president – his boss – Barr said “of course” because his job is to run the Justice Department and make decisions on “what I think is the right thing to do.”

If tweeting makes it impossible for Barr to do his job then sounds like we need a new Attorney General, preferably one who isn't so easily disarmed.

Reactions: Friday13
Nov 2014
North Carolina
And, Trump doesn't seem likely to change his ways...
lol, nope. He's going to go right on tweeting. This is one President who isn't afraid to exercise his freedom of speech and could really give a rat's ass if his subordinates don't like it. That's why he needs to have people in his administration who are comfortable with that arrangement. If Barr allows the President's tweets to hinder his work, he should really consider resigning to be honest.

HayJenn

Former Staff
Jul 2014
CA
  • Wow
Reactions: the bull59

HayJenn

Former Staff
Jul 2014
CA
lol, nope. He's going to go right on tweeting. This is one President who isn't afraid to exercise his freedom of speech and could really give a rat's ass if his subordinates don't like it. That's why he needs to have people in his administration who are comfortable with that arrangement. If Barr allows the President's tweets to hinder his work, he should really consider resigning to be honest.
Either two things are going on here

A) Barr is full of shit and just trying to cover his ass for the Stone debacle where 4 prosecutors left in protest
B) He knows Trump will attack him, just like he did to John Kelly today for speaking out against Trump, and hope if Trump does that, it makes it looks like Barr was "standing" up to him,

if you think Trump getting involved with the legal decisions at the DOJ and tweeting about the judge in the Stone case is a good thing, then just forget the DOJ can no longer be seen as actually doing anything in regards to the "rules of law"

May 2019
midwest
LOLs. Trump lapdog Billy Barr will never resign after he campaigned for the job by blasting the Mueller investigation in a 19 page memo. Besides, the Trump DOJ considers Impeached Trump's tweets to be ORDERS to be carried out. They both have no cred left. Remember that Nov. 3 is another day closer.
:cool:

Nov 2014
North Carolina
Either two things are going on here

A) Barr is full of shit and just trying to cover his ass for the Stone debacle where 4 prosecutors left in protest
B) He knows Trump will attack him, just like he did to John Kelly today for speaking out against Trump, and hope if Trump does that, it makes it looks like Barr was "standing" up to him,

if you think Trump getting involved with the legal decisions at the DOJ and tweeting about the judge in the Stone case is a good thing, then just forget the DOJ can no longer be seen as actually doing anything in regards to the "rules of law"
What I think is the President is free to criticize the sentencing recommendations if he wants. Considering they are giving Stone more prison time than the average rapist gets for a crime others in Washington have walked away from scott free - the President's criticisms are certainly justified and reasonable. Regardless, if Barr has a problem serving under a vocal President then he needs to resign and let someone else come in who isn't hindered by his tweeting.

Reactions: Izzshemovin
Nov 2014
North Carolina
LOLs. Trump lapdog Billy Barr will never resign after he campaigned for the job by blasting the Mueller investigation in a 19 page memo. Besides, the Trump DOJ considers Impeached Trump's tweets to be ORDERS to be carried out. They both have no cred left. Remember that Nov. 3 is another day closer.

Whether he will or not wasn't the issue and your opinions about their credibility doesn't interest me.

My point was that he should if he cannot conduct his job due to tweeting.

Jul 2017
U.S.A.

Yea, this all smells like an attempt for Barr trying to make himself look like he's not attached to Trump's balls.