Bill Gates doesnt rule out voting for Trump if democrats decide to tax billionaires

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Surprised at this since he has been a big donor to past democratic candidates.

Bill Gates, a man who’s worth an estimated $107 billion, suggested on Wednesday he’d be open to voting for President Donald Trump in 2020 if the Democrats try to make him pay his fair share in taxes. The bizarre suggestion is just the latest sign that American oligarchs are prepared to support an authoritarian if Elizabeth Warren’s proposed wealth tax moves forward.

“If I had to pay $20 billion, it’s fine,” Gates said at the New York Times DealBook conference yesterday when discussing a possible wealth tax. “But when you say I should pay $100 billion, then I’m starting to do a little math about what I have left over.”

Gates, who describes himself as in favor of progressive taxation, said that he’s not going to declare who he’ll vote for in 2020, but suggested that he’s at least open to voting for Trump if his opponent isn’t “professional” enough. What does it mean to be “professional”? Presumably, that’s code for letting billionaires get away with hoarding enormous amounts of wealth since Gates says he wants to find a “middle ground” in the current political debate.

May 2019
Backatown, USA
The same Bill Gates who has called Trump an idiot in interviews.
And who founded the Giving Pledge, advocating that billionaires pledge most of their wealth to helping others.

It doesn't ring true.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
The same Bill Gates who has called Trump an idiot in interviews.
And who founded the Giving Pledge, advocating that billionaires pledge most of their wealth to helping others.

It doesn't ring true.
I suspect like Warren Buffet, its a warning to dems not to nominate Warren or Sanders. They want Biden or another moderate. Several other prominent billionaires have warned they wont support Warren or Sanders.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Jamie Dimon is wading into the ongoing feud between Sen. Elizabeth Warren and American billionaires including money manager Leon Cooperman.

Dimon, himself a billionaire thanks to his decades running some of the biggest U.S. lenders, was asked by CNBC’s Wilfred Frost if Democratic presidential hopeful Warren was anti-business.

“You really have to ask her what she really means,” Dimon said in the interview, parts of which were scheduled to air on CNBC’s “Closing Bell.”

“She uses some pretty harsh words, you know, some would say vilifies successful people,” Dimon said. “I don’t like vilifying anybody. I think we should applaud successful people.”

Nov 2013
NY
Opinion piece, complete bogus and out of context, silly writing where the writers opinion has nothing to do with what Gates actually said.
Is that what we're doing now, pushing gizmodo opinion pieces as news, with stupid fake news thread titles ?
Geee, why don't you just register GOP and do some early Trump voting.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Opinion piece, complete bogus and out of context, silly writing where the writers opinion has nothing to do with what Gates actually said.
Is that what we're doing now, pushing gizmodo opinion pieces as news, with stupid fake news thread titles ?
Geee, why don't you just register GOP and do some early Trump voting.
If you read the Gizmodo piece, they vehemently disagree with Gates. They think he is just trying to get out of paying for taxes.

Reactions: Madeline
Nov 2013
NY
If you read the Gizmodo piece, they vehemently disagree with Gates. They think he is just trying to get out of paying for taxes.
Yes, exactly... THEY think.. THEY disagree.. and that's what this whole thread - and it's stupid title - is all about.. what "gizmodo thinks", not what Gates actually says.

Why would i give a flying f*ck what some Matt Novak at Gizmodo thinks ? And why would you sell it as some factual news ?

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Yes, exactly... THEY think.. THEY disagree.. and that's what this whole thread - and it's stupid title - is all about.. what "gizmodo thinks", not what Gates actually says.

Why would i give a flying f*ck what some Matt Novak at Gizmodo thinks ? And why would you sell it as some factual news ?
It is factual, I watched it yesterday online live.

In one of his more shocking remarks, Gates also refused to say whether he would vote for Warren over President Donald Trump in a 2020 matchup, saying he’d pick “whoever I decide would have the more professional approach.”

Gates joins other mega-wealthy people in his criticism of Warren’s tax plan. Billionaire investor Leon Cooperman sent the senator a letter last month saying she had “proceeded to admonish me (as if a parent chiding an ungrateful child) to ‘pitch in a bit more so everyone else has a chance at the American dream.’”

Nov 2013
NY
It is factual, I watched it yesterday online live.

In one of his more shocking remarks, Gates also refused to say whether he would vote for Warren over President Donald Trump in a 2020 matchup, saying he’d pick “whoever I decide would have the more professional approach.”

Gates joins other mega-wealthy people in his criticism of Warren’s tax plan. Billionaire investor Leon Cooperman sent the senator a letter last month saying she had “proceeded to admonish me (as if a parent chiding an ungrateful child) to ‘pitch in a bit more so everyone else has a chance at the American dream.’”
“I’ve paid over $10 billion in taxes. I’ve paid more than anyone in taxes. If I had to pay $20 billion, it’s fine,” he said Wednesday.
“But when you say I should pay $100 billion, then I’m starting to do a little math about what I have left over,” he continued,

The above is apparently what he 'actually' said.

He paid 10 billion. he's ok with 20 billion. He's not ok with 100 billion.

If Warren's plan is explained correctly, she's asking him to add 3 billion to the 10 billion he paid.
13 billion total. Not 20 billion, not 100 billion.
And he never said he would not be ok with that.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
“I’ve paid over $10 billion in taxes. I’ve paid more than anyone in taxes. If I had to pay $20 billion, it’s fine,” he said Wednesday.
“But when you say I should pay $100 billion, then I’m starting to do a little math about what I have left over,” he continued,

The above is apparently what he 'actually' said.

He paid 10 billion. he's ok with 20 billion. He's not ok with 100 billion.

If Warren's plan is explained correctly, she's asking him to add 3 billion to the 10 billion he paid.
13 billion total. Not 20 billion, not 100 billion.
And he never said he would not be ok with that.
He also refused to say whether he would vote for Warren over Trump when asked.

Reactions: Wonderer