Bill Gates says Trump asked him the difference between HIV and HPV

Feb 2007
In my mind
Really Mr. President? Yo do not know the difference between human papallomavirus and human immunodeficiency virus?

Really?

Not a "stable genius" as you claim?

Indeed, according to Bill Gates, Trump asked what the difference was. Perhaps he really thought it was a single letter.

Or the same thing. I am gobsmacked that anyone, any adult, could not know the difference.

https://www.nhregister.com/technology/businessinsider/article/Bill-Gates-says-that-Trump-asked-him-the-12924364.php

In a video posted by MSNBC on Thursday, Microsoft cofounder Bill Gates says President Donald Trump twice asked him the difference between HIV and HPV.

"He wanted to know if there was a difference between HIV and HPV, so I was able to explain that those are rarely confused with each other," Gates tells an audience in the video.

Reactions: 1 person
Jul 2014
Border Fence
Apparently, Jennifer's appearance became a talking point in Gates' first meeting with the president. "It was actually kind of scary how much he knew about my daughter's appearance," he said. "Melinda did not like that too well."

"In both of those two meetings, he asked me if vaccines weren't a bad thing, because he was considering a commission to look into ill effects of vaccines,"
In his final description of his interaction with the president, Gates said, "When I walked in, his first sentence kind of threw me off. He said, 'Trump hears that you don't like what Trump is doing.' And I thought, 'Wow, but you are Trump.'" He added, "So I didn't know if the third-party form was what was expected. Well, you know, 'Gates says that Gates knows you're not doing things right.'"

Trump is a weirdo.

Think about it. Donald had no where close to the typical 1950's-1960's upbringing like that of his contemporaries of the same age. No way did Donald have a "Leave it to Beaver" childhood.

Reactions: 2 people
Jan 2016
Colorado
Look. He probably doesn't know the difference between gonorrhea and syphilis, either.

And he should.

He should!

Reactions: 2 people
Jul 2013
U.S.A.
Really Mr. President? Yo do not know the difference between human papallomavirus and human immunodeficiency virus?

Really?

Not a "stable genius" as you claim?

Indeed, according to Bill Gates, Trump asked what the difference was. Perhaps he really thought it was a single letter.

Or the same thing. I am gobsmacked that anyone, any adult, could not know the difference.

https://www.nhregister.com/technology/businessinsider/article/Bill-Gates-says-that-Trump-asked-him-the-12924364.php

In a video posted by MSNBC on Thursday, Microsoft cofounder Bill Gates says President Donald Trump twice asked him the difference between HIV and HPV. [Emphasis added.]

"He wanted to know if there was a difference between HIV and HPV, so I was able to explain that those are rarely confused with each other," Gates tells an audience in the video.
Okay, asking the question once is one thing -- although a moderately intelligent, socially adept person usually knows how to elicit information about something he or she is uncertain about without sounding like a clueless bumpkin. But asking twice...? That betrays an astounding degree of ignorance as well as a lack of curiosity and a worrisome inability to focus on the topic at hand and absorb even somewhat complex matrices of information. Those don't seem to be ideal characteristics for the President of the United States of America, do they?

I wish I could say that I'm surprised, but I'm not. Who is, really...? This is exactly who you voted for, America. It was a bare minority of those who bothered to vote, but it was just enough to swing the Electoral College. To everyone who voted for Trump: congratulations on electing one of the top five, at least, ill-suited and unqualified Presidents of all time. This is just another (relatively insignificant, unfortunately) piece of evidence to support that particular conclusion. He may be the uncontested number one before all is said and done.

Heaven help us.

Reactions: 6 people
Jan 2016
Colorado
Okay, asking the question once is one thing -- although a moderately intelligent, socially adept person usually knows how to elicit information about something he or she is uncertain about without sounding like a clueless bumpkin. But asking twice...? That betrays an astounding degree of ignorance as well as a lack of curiosity and a worrisome inability to focus on the topic at hand and absorb even somewhat complex matrices of information. Those don't seem to be ideal characteristics for the President of the United States of America, do they?

I wish I could say that I'm surprised, but I'm not. Who is, really...? This is exactly who you voted for, America. It was a bare minority of those who bothered to vote, but it was just enough to swing the Electoral College. To everyone who voted for Trump: congratulations on electing one of the top five, at least, ill-suited and unqualified Presidents of all time. This is just another (relatively insignificant, unfortunately) piece of evidence to support that particular conclusion. He may be the uncontested number one before all is said and done.

Heaven help us.
Shrug. I'm not so surprised that he asked twice. I remember an infamous visit by Dan Quayle to NASA, when they were getting ready to launch the Hubble Space Telescope. Dan kept asking them what planet they were sending it to. Over and over again, he kept asking them that. They kept patiently explaining to him that they were just putting it in Earth orbit. Dan didn't seem to 'get' it. Shrug.

I can't myself recall if this was before or after Dan memorably claimed that Mars and Earth travel "in basically the same orbit".

Reactions: 1 person
Jul 2013
U.S.A.
Shrug. I'm not so surprised that he asked twice. I remember an infamous visit by Dan Quayle to NASA, when they were getting ready to launch the Hubble Space Telescope. Dan kept asking them what planet they were sending it to. Over and over again, he kept asking them that. They kept patiently explaining to him that they were just putting it in Earth orbit. Dan didn't seem to 'get' it. Shrug.

I can't myself recall if this was before or after Dan memorably claimed that Mars and Earth travel "in basically the same orbit".
Fair enough...

But, as I recall it didn't wasn't too long after Mr. Potatoe Head was raised up and set upon the big stage that just about everyone implicitly acknowledged that he, Dan Quayle, was not and never would be a viable candidate for President.

Times change, I guess.

Cheers.

Reactions: 3 people
Jan 2016
Colorado
I suspect that if you asked the average person in the street, "What is HPV?" they couldn't tell you.
Well, they might guess 'High Pressure Valve' or something like that. But if you gave them a hint.....told them it had something to do with biology or medicine......

Jul 2015
Florida

Heaven help us.
Sadly--what Havelock said.