Biloxi Schools Pull "To Kill a Mockingbird" from Curriculum

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
The Biloxi School District got complaints about the wording in “To Kill A Mockingbird” — an American classic being taught in 8th grade English Language Arts classes — and pulled it from the curriculum.

It was an administrative and department decision, a member of the school board said, and not something that the school board voted on. It happened Wednesday or Thursday.

Kenny Holloway, vice president of the Biloxi School Board said, “There were complaints about it. There is some language in the book that makes people uncomfortable, and we can teach the same lesson with other books.

“It’s still in our library. But they’re going to use another book in the 8th grade course.”
http://www.sunherald.com/news/local/counties/harrison-county/article178572326.html

I am gobsmacked. This book was voted the favorite of American readers in a PBS series last year. It won numerous awards.

What asshattery is underway in Mississippi?

Your thoughts?

Jun 2014
United States
Meh.

Every good book ever written can't be part of their 8th grade curriculum. It's not as if they are banning the book. I think I'll save my outrage for something more outrageous than this.

Reactions: HCProf

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Weirdo
My thoughts are "some complaints" shouldn't amount to much, but evidently that has a massive impact on how people and organizations do things.

I would just once like to see some organization say "tough, we're keeping it" but that comes with it's own caveats and I guess I can understand why people and organizations bend over so much.

May 2019
midwest
Here is my thought. Since this happened in Oct. 2017, do you have an update to this story?
:cool:

I never expected any sort of success with Mockingbird. I was hoping for a quick and merciful death at the hands of the reviewers, but at the same time I sort of hoped someone would like it enough to give me encouragement. Public encouragement. I hoped for a little, as I said, but I got rather a whole lot, and in some ways this was just about as frightening as the quick, merciful death I'd expected.
— Harper Lee, quoted in Newquist, 1964[15]

Reactions: Friday13
May 2016
california
Anything about race is radioactive to those who judge the milli count.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
http://www.sunherald.com/news/local/counties/harrison-county/article178572326.html

I am gobsmacked. This book was voted the favorite of American readers in a PBS series last year. It won numerous awards.

Your thoughts?
Hell, a group of parents in Russia recently wanted to get rid of Tolstoy's "War and Peace" (mandatory study for senior, 9-11, Grades in Russian Literature curriculum) because it is too large and complicated for young people, in their view lol

But, such an outrage erupted AGAINST them in turn, they backed off haha

Nov 2013
NY

Your thoughts?
This was happening two years ago.
An African American mother took offense with the N word used in the book, how the class reacted to it (giggles and laughter, teenagers) and how that could reflect on her daughter. So the district went ahead and took it off the curriculum mid-class.
Do I personally think they were happy about taking a book off the list that does give a very ugly picture of the reality of white immigrants in the US ? I sure do.
The mom actually did not ask for the removal of the book.
And it happens with Huck Finn, and other books, in other places at times as well.

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
We should also bear in mind that school literary curricula are not (and should not be) stagnant. Yes, I read and thoroughly enjoyed "To Kill a Mockingbird" in high school. However, my father did not, because the book wasn't published until after he had graduated from high school. In order to make room for TKaM, some unknown book had been cycled out of the curriculum.

Therefore, it stands to reason that school would occasionally cycle out what we consider "classics" to make room for newer books.

May 2016
california
This was all a couple of years ago. Besides the book using "offensive "language, the book's author made some statements about the book that made the book's anti racist message look questionable. Not that intelligent people could make such a mistake, but why take a chance. Biloxi anyway. Have they fixed the drinking water yet?

Reactions: Madeline