Biloxi Schools Pull "To Kill a Mockingbird" from Curriculum

Nov 2007
Prague, Czech Republic
LOL, well, I expect any book written in a foreign language (you haven't spoken or written English in 200 odd years) could well be a 'droning dirge' to some Americans (but certainly not most). ;)

Shakespeare however, is taught in schools right across Europe, and considered high literary art across the world.
For no rational reason. Dutch and Swedish kids waste hours of their teenage years trying to interpret obscure phrases in Middle English because of the weird mystique possessed by Shakespeare. Can't help but feel there would be more productive uses for that time.

Jul 2011
UK/Australia
For no rational reason. Dutch and Swedish kids waste hours of their teenage years trying to interpret obscure phrases in Middle English because of the weird mystique possessed by Shakespeare. Can't help but feel there would be more productive uses for that time.
Obviously, the Dutch and Swedish academics who set the various curricula do not entirely concur with that view.

Should we ignore the significance of one the most important works of Old English literature - Beowulf, because the language is challenging, or the libretto of the Bühnenfestspiel - Der Ring des Nibelungen because it was not written in modern English? :)

Reactions: Ian Jeffrey

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
I can happily lose "Gone With the Wind", but I will grieve the loss of "Tom Sawyer".
Tom Sawyer is a fun book; I have a copy my uncle had to read for school back in the '50s. Gone With the Wind I have never read, and do not intend to ... hated the movie, which had no sympathetic characters at all (though at least Rhett Butler is an interesting character).

Reactions: Madeline

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
I understand, many people feel that way about Shalespeare, Marlowe, and poets such as John Donne. There can be something of a language barrier with regard to old English....
[snip]
Even though they be not in modern English, their meaning is not obscure, and there is an undeniable romance about them (not just in the sentiments but the choice of words themseves). :)
Not modern English, true ... but Marlowe and Shakespeare wrote in Middle English. The practically incomprehensible Old English was the language of Beowulf.

(Or am I mistaken?)

Reactions: Madeline and Leo2
Jul 2011
UK/Australia
Americans are just wild little cousins to the UK....:) The US just took the original English language and made it cool and hip. :)
'Cool and hip' are dialectical terms which are meaningless in a serious discussion about language. As our English master was wont to repeat - language is most often changed by the ignorant - first in its spoken form, and later in its written form. This is usually how dialects emerge.

A good example of this transmogrification is the phrase "I couldn't care less" which is meant to signify a complete lack of concern, but which has become "I could care less" (signifying the diametric opposite) amongst ignorant Americans. ;)

CtC

Mar 2019
California
'Cool and hip' are dialectical terms which are meaningless in a serious discussion about language. As our English master was wont to repeat - language is most often changed by the ignorant - first in its spoken form, and later in its written form. This is usually how dialects emerge.

A good example of this transmogrification is the phrase "I couldn't care less" which is meant to signify a complete lack of concern, but which has become "I could care less" (signifying the diametric opposite) amongst ignorant Americans. ;)
Use of the word "Decimate" has become common in situations of total destruction. When in fact it means one out of ten. Annihilate is the proper word.

Reactions: Madeline and Leo2
Jul 2011
UK/Australia
Not modern English, true ... but Marlowe and Shakespeare wrote in Middle English. The practically incomprehensible Old English was the language of Beowulf.

(Or am I mistaken?)
You are, as usual, correct. But Middle English is far from incomprehensible, and one need not be a scholar of allegory to understand these lines.

“But, soft! what light through yonder window breaks?

It is the east, and Juliet is the sun. “

or

“O Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo?

Deny thy father and refuse thy name;

Or if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love

And I’ll no longer be a Capulet.”

Pretty straight forward stuff, what!

Reactions: Madeline

HCProf

Council Hall
Sep 2014
USA

Americans are just fun people...whether they are ignorant or not. You would hate teaching HS in the US....the first "What up Dawg" :) LOL It is kind of elitist to broad brush entire cultures when they alter or adopt a certain variation of the English language. You adapt to it and allow people to express themselves. If I labeled all the people I interact with as ignorant, I would have never survived learning ebonics. :)

CtC

Mar 2019
California
Americans are just fun people...whether they are ignorant or not. You would hate teaching HS in the US....the first "What up Dawg" :) LOL It is kind of elitist to broad brush entire cultures when they alter or adopt a certain variation of the English language. You adapt to it and allow people to express themselves. If I labeled all the people I interact with as ignorant, I would have never survived learning ebonics. :)
That is not adopting. It is bastardization. The so-Called "Ebonics" is just street jiveassing.