Bipartisan senators complain to Ryan on Nunes leaking secret text messages to FoxNews

Singularity

Former Staff
Oct 2009
Kansas
And the House intelligence committee majority has stepped right into dogshit once again

The documents published by Fox News appear to back up the senators’ accusation. Though they were marked “CONFIDENTIAL: Produced to USSSCI on a Confidential Basis,” suggesting that they had come from the Senate panel, known as the United States Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, the person familiar with the congressional requests said that the stamp was misleading and that other markings gave away their actual origin.​

Documents marked CONFIDENTIAL are classified information.

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
Senate Intelligence Leaders Say House G.O.P. Leaked a Senator’s Text

WASHINGTON — The Senate Intelligence Committee has concluded that Republicans on the House Intelligence Committee were behind the leak of private text messages between the Senate panel’s top Democrat and a Russian-connected lawyer, according to two congressional officials briefed on the matter.

Senator Richard M. Burr of North Carolina, the committee’s Republican chairman, and Senator Mark Warner of Virginia, the top Democrat, were so perturbed by the leak that they demanded a rare meeting with Speaker Paul D. Ryan last month to inform him of their findings. They used the meeting with Mr. Ryan to raise broader concerns about the direction of the House Intelligence Committee under its chairman, Representative Devin Nunes of California, the officials said.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/01/us/politics/senate-intelligence-nunes-leaks.html

there has to be some kind of federal law that's being violated here. What's concerning is Ryan knew about this last month and yet still hasn't done anything. There's isn't much that Republican's and Democrat's agree on. Both, on both sides, they are commenting how they've never seen the Intelligence Committee mired in such a partisan divide. Nunes should be brought up on charges.

Singularity

Former Staff
Oct 2009
Kansas
In this case he appears to have directly leaked labeled CONFIDENTIAL information, which is certainly a firing offense for any federal employee even if CONFIDENTIAL information is considered to be "contrary to the interests" of U.S. national security, or as I've read elsewhere, "likely to stir prejudice" against U.S. national security actors or interests. It's not the same as SECRET, TOP SECRET or more highly classified info, which constitutes progressive levels of "if this gets out, U.S. National Security will be endangered."

I am not sure if anyone has ever been successfully prosecuted solely for leaking CONFIDENTIAL material. But if Ryan continues to refuse to get rid of Nunes, then that needs to be a serious option. Ultimately, Ryan is the problem. Nunes is quite publicly Ryan's manservant, and it's bemusing to read that Ryan felt he could get away with saying that Nunes is an independent actor, behind closed doors, to people like Burr and Warner. That's nuts, and it shows that Ryan is even more conceited and stupid than I thought he was.

I'll say it again for effect: Ryan is the problem. Until he is removed as Speaker, or given cause to fear that he will be removed before Election Day if he doesn't act, Nunes ain't going anywhere.

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
In this case he appears to have directly leaked labeled CONFIDENTIAL information, which is certainly a firing offense for any federal employee even if CONFIDENTIAL information is considered to be "contrary to the interests" of U.S. national security, or as I've read elsewhere, "likely to stir prejudice" against U.S. national security actors or interests. It's not the same as SECRET, TOP SECRET or more highly classified info, which constitutes progressive levels of "if this gets out, U.S. National Security will be endangered."

I am not sure if anyone has ever been successfully prosecuted solely for leaking CONFIDENTIAL material. But if Ryan continues to refuse to get rid of Nunes, then that needs to be a serious option. Ultimately, Ryan is the problem. Nunes is quite publicly Ryan's manservant, and it's bemusing to read that Ryan felt he could get away with saying that Nunes is an independent actor, behind closed doors, to people like Burr and Warner. That's nuts, and it shows that Ryan is even more conceited and stupid than I thought he was.

I'll say it again for effect: Ryan is the problem. Until he is removed as Speaker, or given cause to fear that he will be removed before Election Day if he doesn't act, Nunes ain't going anywhere.
Ryan didn't want the job in the first place. Personally, I think he's looking to get out of politics. That's what he was planning before they called on him to be speaker. Which, yeah, makes it all the more puzzling why he won't stand up to Trump? Nunes is doing Trump's bidding in my view. And so is Ryan. One alternative that might be available is who ever leaked the information losing their security clearance. I don't know the case law on this either, otherwise.

Oct 2014
C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
Ryan didn't want the job in the first place. Personally, I think he's looking to get out of politics. That's what he was planning before they called on him to be speaker. Which, yeah, makes it all the more puzzling why he won't stand up to Trump? Nunes is doing Trump's bidding in my view. And so is Ryan. One alternative that might be available is who ever leaked the information losing their security clearance. I don't know the case law on this either, otherwise.
Like you've been told about Clinton.

Mishandling classified materials is a felony.

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
just trying to think of another time when members of Congress leaked info like this on other members?

Singularity

Former Staff
Oct 2009
Kansas
Yes he did. That whole story he sold about only reluctantly accepting leadership was a complete con. I've met Ryan. He is pure, 100 percent self-interested, self-aggrandizing slime.