Black people supporting President Obama due to race

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
I brought this up before, but didn't get a reply... so I thought to make it its own thread.

FactCheck.org : Blacks and the Democratic Party

On one of the charts it shows that as of 2004, 74% of black people were registered democrats.

Breakdown of demographics reveals how black voters swept Obama into White House | Mail Online

In this it says that 95% of the black voters voted for President Obama... Forgive the rough numbers... But if you take out 76% who are Democrats anyway, and take out the 5% that didn't vote for President Obama, you're only talking about 14% of the black votes that one might suspect that went Democrat just due to race. Now, if you factor in that it makes sense that at least some of those people legitimately believed that then Senator Obama was the better candidate, let's say 50%... that really only leaves potentially 7% of the black vote as being decided by a race factor.

Add to this, that other races of voters may NOT have voted for President Obama due to his race... the resulting percentage really dwindles to nothing.

~~~

This thread is in response to:
Here is an article that shows blacks are voting down their race lines.
Such is a common refrain by Obama's detractors on the right: Black people like Obama because he's black, not because of his ideology or policy decisions. Once again, here's Byron York in the National Review:
Black Democrats are voting largely along racial lines. With few policy differences between the candidates, Obama won 92 percent of the black vote in Mississippi, 91 percent in Wisconsin, 87 percent in Ohio, 84 percent in Maryland, and 84 percent in Texas. White Democrats are voting significantly less along racial lines, but there are still divisions.
What Is Behind Obama's High Approval Ratings Among Blacks?
Which I believe is a crappy way to marginalize black people, even if unintentially.

Reactions: Tedminator
Jun 2011
In a better place than u
"...you're only talking about 14% of the black votes that one might suspect that went Democrat just due to race."

Why? It's a false, unsupportable assumption.

Reactions: Chief
May 2011
New Jersey, USA
African Americans risk marginalization when they vote as a racial bloc. When and if that happens they have no one to blame but themselves.

Reactions: Jets and Chief

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
Thank you for all your opinions.

Particularly Meth, good point on the Democrats possibly going Red. It happens.

Ziti, yes... I agree that its false, but I see some on the right bring it up occasionally, so I opened it up for discussion.

Mister D, I don't believe that they do... that's the point.

Reactions: metheron
Oct 2010
Not to mention percentages change now and then due to Population increases. There was bound to be first time voters who supported Obama..Bound to have been old time voters who died and couldn't vote their typical Repub vote.

Reactions: Chief

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
Thanks, LD.

I'd like to see some more analysis though... even if its in big generalities, like mine was... I believe that I have demonstrated that it's unlikely that race played a significant role in 2008. Can anyone show that it did?

May 2011
New Jersey, USA
Thank you for all your opinions.

Particularly Meth, good point on the Democrats possibly going Red. It happens.

Ziti, yes... I agree that its false, but I see some on the right bring it up occasionally, so I opened it up for discussion.

Mister D, I don't believe that they do... that's the point.
You're questioning their motivation. I'm not. I suspect that race was involved but it can't be proved so I won't harp on it. At any rate, when 95% of a racial group votes for one party as it did in the 2008 election (your numbers) it risks marginalization. That should be obvious.