Black people supporting President Obama due to race

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
You're questioning their motivation. I'm not. I suspect that race was involved but it can't be proved so I won't harp on it. At any rate, when 95% of a racial group votes for one party as it did in the 2008 election (your numbers) it risks marginalization. That should be obvious.
It's not though, because the vast majority of that group voted in line with their registered party. That's the difference. If the black candidate in 2008 was Powel, and then we saw this huge exodus of Black Democrats voting GOP, then you could possibly conclude that. But you can't claim that a Democrat voting for a Democrat was suddenly due to race, once a Black Democrat was running.

Last edited:

metheron

Former Staff
Nov 2006
MI
Thank you for all your opinions.

Particularly Meth, good point on the Democrats possibly going Red. It happens.

Ziti, yes... I agree that its false, but I see some on the right bring it up occasionally, so I opened it up for discussion.

Mister D, I don't believe that they do... that's the point.
Its just too easy to pigeonhole any group anybody wants to pigeonhole. Imo, there were blacks that voted for Obama because he was black and there were whites that voted for Obama because he was black. And a majority of voters vote for people because of name recognition. And a minority are educated on the candidates and vote based on reason.

Same shit, different election.

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
Does anyone care to suggest how many non-blacks voted AGAINST Obama in 2008, primarily because of his race? That sword cuts both ways.

May 2011
New Jersey, USA
It's not though, because the vast majority of that group voted in line with their registered party. That's the difference. If the black candidate in 2008 was Powel, and then we saw this huge exodus of Black Democrats voting GOP, then you could possibly conclude that. But you can't claim the a Democrat voting for a Democrat was suddenly due to race, once a Black Democrat was running.
I'm only addressing your comment about marginalization. The relatively monolithic tendency of blacks to register as Democrats helps illustrate my point. It should be no surprise if the party they support takes their vote for granted and the other makes no attempt to reach out to them. It's a direct consequence of their voting habits.

Again, as for race being a factor I suspect that it was but I can't prove it. It's a shame that doesn't stop some other forum members. To your point, yes, they would probably have voted for the Democrat anyway but that does not prove that race was a non-factor. Perhaps it would be more helpful to look at turnout. Was turn out higher or lower in 2008 than it normally is for blacks?

Reactions: Chief
Jun 2011
In a better place than u
Let's not forget that there are Black Teaparty members. Including the dude who was trampled upon for selling the Gadsden flag.
That's a 100% false telling of the story. The video shows that he wasn't selling flags, he was attacking the participants...who then protected a minister and a woman from him. There was evidence that he was working with a tea party activist who was videotaping the incident, a set-up. Then the guy claimed he was injured and went around in wheelchair, and he solicited donations saying he was unemployed...but it turned out he wasn't unemployed, wasn't injured, and had full health coverage by his employer. Hegot into some trouble on account of that.

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
I'm only addressing your comment about marginalization. The relatively monolithic tendency of blacks to register as Democrats helps illustrate my point. It should be no surprise if the party they support takes their vote for granted and the other makes no attempt to reach out to them. It's a direct consequence of their voting habits.

Again, as for race being a factor I suspect that it was but I can't prove it. It's a shame that doesn't stop some other forum members. To your point, yes, they would probably have voted for the Democrat anyway but that does not prove that race was a non-factor. Perhaps it would be more helpful to look at turnout. Was turn out higher or lower in 2008 than it normally is for blacks?
Good point, turn out was higher.

Reactions: Mister D