Black people supporting President Obama due to race

freecell

Former Staff
Jul 2006
Cary
Do you know what his positions are, and his voting record?
If I didn't why would I support him? I don't vote just to be voting. Perot warned us about the economy and all he said came true but no one listened. Cain is saying just about the same. I never agree 100% on every issue but Cain and Perot are true cons.

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
I brought this up before, but didn't get a reply... so I thought to make it its own thread.

FactCheck.org : Blacks and the Democratic Party

On one of the charts it shows that as of 2004, 74% of black people were registered democrats.

Breakdown of demographics reveals how black voters swept Obama into White House | Mail Online

In this it says that 95% of the black voters voted for President Obama... Forgive the rough numbers... But if you take out 76% who are Democrats anyway, and take out the 5% that didn't vote for President Obama, you're only talking about 14% of the black votes that one might suspect that went Democrat just due to race. Now, if you factor in that it makes sense that at least some of those people legitimately believed that then Senator Obama was the better candidate, let's say 50%... that really only leaves potentially 7% of the black vote as being decided by a race factor.

Add to this, that other races of voters may NOT have voted for President Obama due to his race... the resulting percentage really dwindles to nothing.

~~~
yeah sounds about right.. figure a few percentage points based it on race.

btw thanks for the interesting link.

One

Former Staff
Dec 2006
----> X <----
I can see blacks voting for the black candidate. After all, I would want to vote for someone I can relate to, and has had similar life experiences in dealing with racial issues. That would give you that connection with the candidate. Not saying this is necessarily right, but I can see how it could sway some voters.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
So what if they are? :) Plenty of white "conservatives" probably voted for McCain because of his race.

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
This thread is kinda offensive. Why did this come up all the sudden? Why are blacks being singled out here as a voting block? Why is this relevant to anything? I don't think I've ever seen so much attention focused on a single voting block, until a black man was elected.

jackalope

Former Staff
Jan 2010
Maine
This thread is kinda offensive. Why did this come up all the sudden? Why are blacks being singled out here as a voting block? Why is this relevant to anything? I don't think I've ever seen so much attention focused on a single voting block, until a black man was elected.
It came from this thread .... not that that one is any less offesive :eek:

May 2011
New Jersey, USA