Blaming this USA plant's closing on Trump's tariffs is a lie.

Jul 2009
Element Electronics company is obviously lying.

If the USA levies tariffs upon components, I would suppose and expect we would do so upon similar imported components and finished products from all foreign nations. USA producers are at disadvantages to cheaper foreign labor, but they're at lesser rather than greater disadvantages due to such USA levied tariffs.

I don't doubt that the tariffs will to some extent reduce USA sales of the finished products. We all benefit from cheaper imports, but they don't fully compensate for USA's chronic annual trade deficits consequential reduction of our GDP and net numbers of jobs.

I'm among the proponents of the improved unilateral trade policy concept as described in Wikipedia's “Import Certificates” article. It is superior to pure free trade, tariffs, or any other trade policy we're aware of.

Google Wikipedia, Import Certificates .
Refer to: https://www.newsday.com/business/ele...ffs-1.20345862

and
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2018/08/07/south-carolina-element-electronics-plant-close-layoffs-trump-tariffs/927203002/

Respectfully, Supposn

Jul 2014
Border Fence
here is where you went wrong.

If the USA levies tariffs upon components, I would suppose and expect we would do so upon similar imported components and finished products from all foreign nations.
Your supposition is wrong. Trump has specific tariffs and these components EE claims in on Trump's tariff list vis a vis China.

Secondly, just because other nations MAY make the components, does not mean a company can turn on a dime and get contracts and shipping of components in time to keep production moving.

Also, all businesses run on tight margins. Other potential suppliers are not likely making components to have on the shelf like light bulbs, it would also take potential suppliers time to get the materials necessary to complete any potential orders...this all takes time.

I doubt this company is laying off workers just to spite Donald Trump.

Reactions: 6 people
Nov 2013
None of your business

If the USA levies tariffs upon components, I would suppose and expect we would do so upon similar imported components and finished products from all foreign nations. USA producers are at disadvantages to cheaper foreign labor, but they're at lesser rather than greater disadvantages due to such USA levied tariffs.

I don't doubt that the tariffs will to some extent reduce USA sales of the finished products. We all benefit from cheaper imports, but they don't fully compensate for USA's chronic annual trade deficits consequential reduction of our GDP and net numbers of jobs.

I'm among the proponents of the improved unilateral trade policy concept as described in Wikipedia's “Import Certificates” article. It is superior to pure free trade, tariffs, or any other trade policy we're aware of.

Google Wikipedia, Import Certificates .

and
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2018/08/07/south-carolina-element-electronics-plant-close-layoffs-trump-tariffs/927203002/

Respectfully, Supposn
This is the 30,000 foot view and then there's the practical view, assemblies that are higher than 60% aluminum, being shipped from Europe, are now including a tariff surcharge; usually to the cost of the entire unit itself.

How do I know this? well, I just bought something for my lab, and that's what I saw.....

So the 30K viewpoint, similar to esoteric models, are worthless against the empirical........

Sep 2012
SoCal

Your supposition is wrong. Trump has specific tariffs and these components EE claims in on Trump's tariff list vis a vis China.

Secondly, just because other nations MAY make the components, does not mean a company can turn on a dime and get contracts and shipping of components in time to keep production moving.

Also, all businesses run on tight margins. Other potential suppliers are not likely making components to have on the shelf like light bulbs, it would also take potential suppliers time to get the materials necessary to complete any potential orders...this all takes time.

Layoffs from Trump tariffs are piling up. So are calls for more bailouts.
Trump and his top advisers insist this is short-term pain and that the end result will be a better trade situation for all U.S. companies. They point to the strong economy as a sign Trump’s policies are working, but the longer the tariffs stay in place, the more the negative impacts are likely to grow.

[…]

Small and mid-size companies are especially vulnerable to the tariffs because they are not able to absorb costs or shift production overseas as easily as larger companies. Hardy feels caught in a bind: If she raises her prices, foreign competitors will undercut her. Instead, she cut almost 40 percent of her 200-person workforce, most of whom are blue-collar production workers at the Brinly-Hardy plant in southern Indiana. It was the same tactic Mid-Continent Nail, the largest U.S. nail manufacturer, used earlier this summer when it laid off dozens of workers in Missouri because of Trump’s tariffs on Mexican steel. Mid-Continent has warned it may have to close its doors by Labor Day. Hardy is trying to stay optimistic, but if the tariffs are still in place by Thanksgiving, she will probably face devastating choices.

...MORE...

Jul 2009

DebateDrone, if there's any USA competitive producer of a similar finished product, I assume that they also import similar components. Thus, Element Electronics are not at any disadvantage in comparison to other USA producers.

Imported finished products will carry greater tariffs per unit upon the value of their entire finished units. In comparison to the prices of finished import products, Element Electronics prices would be improved. Although USA sale volumes of all USA and imported finished products would be somewhat reduced, Element Electronics can expect to gain an increased portion of those sales.

I too doubt Element Electronics are acting to spite President Trump who has benefited them.
Apparently, Element Electronics are gambling the expense of their temporary closing, their worker's financial losses, and South Carolina taxpayers' costs due to unemployment benefits, in the expectation that they can increasingly benefit from their greedy extortion scheme.

Element Electronics is counting on political pressure to induce the federal government's waiving tariffs upon their imported components, but continue to levy tariffs upon all other competing imported finished products. I hope the Trump administration and the U.S. Congress does not submit to Element Electronics blatant extortion.

Respectfully, Supposn

"As we are the only USA assembler of televisions, we believe the inclusion of our parts on the list of affected products is accidental and resolvable," the company posted on Facebook. "Element is working hard to have our parts removed from the tariff list and we remain hopeful that the closure of our South Carolina factory will be avoided”.

Lunchboxxy

Apr 2010
Oregon
Let me get this straight,

Jobs gained in steel manufacturing from the trade war=All thanks to Trump’s tariffs

Layoffs caused directly by the trade war increasing costs= definitely not Trump’s tariffs. Doesn’t matter what the manufacturer said

Reactions: 3 people
Dec 2013
Switzerland
Trump seems to bring tariffs like a magician is pulling out rabbits out of his hat. If it was to balance what is considered as unfair behaviors from other countries such tariffs should be calculated in a way which would compensate what seems to be unfair. It is certainly not so, Trump sets figures of 10 or 25% tariffs indifferently whatever the situation of the exporting country may be. In Europe for example you have many countries which are very performing and although they have production costs higher than in the US they are able to export a lot because of the quality of their products. The explanation comes from the fact that they invested a lot in R&D and in their production facilities and are part of a general background where much more is invested than in the USA in education, training etc... So if you set such tariffs, they will benefit to US Producer, but will they invest, train people or just give the extra money they will earn to share holders ? The real question is performance and if you want to protect local industries from foreign competition, you must make sure that it is not forgotten and that they will be structures enabling American industries to be the best, which is no more the case for many products.Furthermore the USA, even if they want to be an island, cannot afford to be one and will anyway depend from others. So what will be the reaction or retaliation to the present unilateralism of the US. Nothing very good even for the USA.

Reactions: 1 person
Jul 2014
Border Fence
DebateDrone, if there's any USA competitive producer of a similar finished product, I assume that they also import similar components. Thus, Element Electronics are not at any disadvantage in comparison to other USA producers.

Imported finished products will carry greater tariffs per unit upon the value of their entire finished units. In comparison to the prices of finished import products, Element Electronics prices would be improved. Although USA sale volumes of all USA and imported finished products would be somewhat reduced, Element Electronics can expect to gain an increased portion of those sales.

I too doubt Element Electronics are acting to spite President Trump who has benefited them.
Apparently, Element Electronics are gambling the expense of their temporary closing, their worker's financial losses, and South Carolina taxpayers' costs due to unemployment benefits, in the expectation that they can increasingly benefit from their greedy extortion scheme.

Element Electronics is counting on political pressure to induce the federal government's waiving tariffs upon their imported components, but continue to levy tariffs upon all other competing imported finished products. I hope the Trump administration and the U.S. Congress does not submit to Element Electronics blatant extortion.

Respectfully, Supposn

"As we are the only USA assembler of televisions, we believe the inclusion of our parts on the list of affected products is accidental and resolvable," the company posted on Facebook. "Element is working hard to have our parts removed from the tariff list and we remain hopeful that the closure of our South Carolina factory will be avoided”.
If EE is the sole and last producer of TVs in the US, then one can assume that there are no other producers of TVs in the US.

It is not correct to assume that all imported TVs have tariffs attached. That is too broad a statement without corroboration.

Even if there are other producers that assemble TV's in the US, where they get there components matters. Even if these other assembles buy from other component manufacturers, that bolster my claim that EE would still have to shift to a new supplier and that takes time and a shut down would have to happen until
until new supplies are secured.

I believe you still have not made your case the EE is not experiencing real problems due to tariffs.

I think your mind is set.

Reactions: 1 person
Jun 2014
United States
How stupid is it to make that claim within the same post that states this fact?

"As we are the only USA assembler of televisions, we believe the inclusion of our parts on the list of affected products is accidental and resolvable," the company posted on Facebook.
Pretty stupid, I'd say.

Reactions: 2 people
Jul 2009
How stupid is it to make that claim within the same post that states this fact?
"As we are the only USA assembler of televisions, we believe the inclusion of our parts on the list of affected products is accidental and resolvable," the company posted on Facebook.
Pretty stupid, I'd say.

If the USA levies tariffs upon components, I would suppose and expect we would do so upon similar imported components and finished products from all foreign nations. USA producers are at disadvantages to cheaper foreign labor, but they're at lesser rather than greater disadvantages due to such USA levied tariffs. ...

and
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2018/08/07/south-carolina-element-electronics-plant-close-layoffs-trump-tariffs/927203002/ ...
None of the news articles I read regarding Elemental Electronics and the two articles within my post's provided links, did not mention Trump's tariffs upon electronic goods were not applicable to all foreign nations. In that case, Trump's tariffs are or will soon be detrimental to Elemental Electronics.

I regret that my post is apparently incorrect. My error is due to fake-news and/or incompetent newspaper editors and my under-estimation of President Trump's lack of knowledge and/or judgment.
Respectfully, Supposn