"Blue wave" a "Tsunami" or a "ripple"?

Jul 2011
NYC
So with the results in, was the "Blue wave" a tsunami or a ripple compared to previous mid term elections? What do you think. Do you also think the democrats in the house will "legislate" or simply "investigate"?

Jets

Former Staff
Feb 2011
New York
Let’s put some things in perspective. More often than not from a historical standpoint, the Party that holds the WH and Congress takes losses during the midterms. No doubt there are exceptions to the rule. That means the Democratic Party had the advantage going into the election.

Now, we need to define what’s meant by a “blue wave”. Here’s the problem, it’s a completely subjective term. Let’s reiterate the initial point, the Democrats were supposed to pick up seats based on history. With that in mind what constitutes a “wave” or a “tsunami”?

If the argument was that this election was a referendum on the President why did the GOP gain ANY seats at all. On one hand, It’s telling that the House and Governorships picked up more seats for the Democratic Party, yet the Senate did not. Something to consider when discussing what this election was and how it could be interpreted.

Just an observation here

Jan 2007
Political power goes back and forth , seems quite normal. Changing demographics and population movements clearly has an influence. Keeping demographic attitudes primed is
essential to steer their voting habits.

Jul 2011
NYC
Let’s put some things in perspective. More often than not from a historical standpoint, the Party that holds the WH and Congress takes losses during the midterms. No doubt there are exceptions to the rule. That means the Democratic Party had the advantage going into the election.

Now, we need to define what’s meant by a “blue wave”. Here’s the problem, it’s a completely subjective term. Let’s reiterate the initial point, the Democrats were supposed to pick up seats based on history. With that in mind what constitutes a “wave” or a “tsunami”?

If the argument was that this election was a referendum on the President why did the GOP gain ANY seats at all. On one hand, It’s telling that the House and Governorships picked up more seats for the Democratic Party, yet the Senate did not. Something to consider when discussing what this election was and how it could be interpreted.

Just an observation here

I agree, I also think from the lack of gloating "blue wave" threads, it wasn't the tsunami they were hoping for,.

Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC
I agree, I also think from the lack of gloating "blue wave" threads, it wasn't the tsunami they were hoping for,.
Seemed like a pretty big wave to me. HoR was expected. Governor race flips surprised me. Senate was just mathematically working against the Democrats.

Not really too obsessed with calling it a "blue or red" anything. It's just what traditionally happens during midterms. In 2010 and 2014 there was a lot of chatter about the Bush effect or the Obama effect. This time it just happened to be called the Trump effect.

Dog barks.....caravan moves on.

Jul 2011
NYC
Seemed like a pretty big wave to me. HoR was expected. Governor race flips surprised me. Senate was just mathematically working against the Democrats.

Not really too obsessed with calling it a "blue or red" anything. It's just what traditionally happens during midterms. In 2010 and 2014 there was a lot of chatter about the Bush effect or the Obama effect. This time it just happened to be called the Trump effect.

Dog barks.....caravan moves on.

I think if you look back, when the republicans last were in this position, didn't they get about the same or more gov's? I agree, though it's not a wave, or a ripple, it's typical.

Nov 2009
SoCal
So with the results in, was the "Blue wave" a tsunami or a ripple compared to previous mid term elections? What do you think. Do you also think the democrats in the house will "legislate" or simply "investigate"?
I think almost everything went as predicted, so more like a ripple. I personally thought the Republicans would get more punished than they were, so I was way off. Most concerning to me is that the people are on board with Trump, who has made a free press his enemy. So the people are left with getting their information filtered through and defacto approved by Trump and his peeps. A people can't be free if what they "know" is controlled.

Sep 2011
aMEEErica

"You can't always get what you want..."

"But if you try sometime, you just might find..."

"...you get what you need."

We didn't get everything we wanted, but we DID get what we needed!

Thx :)

Jul 2011
NYC
I think almost everything went as predicted, so more like a ripple. I personally thought the Republicans would get more punished than they were, so I was way off. Most concerning to me is that the people are on board with Trump, who has made a free press his enemy. So the people are left with getting their information filtered through and defacto approved by Trump and his peeps. A people can't be free if what they "know" is controlled.

See but I disagree, you have a consolidated and agendad press so how "free" is it? It's so "Free" that other press outlets get banned from twitter and facebook, while some of the MSM who are just as much propagandists are given free reign. Trump has a point about the press and until he signs an executive order shutting them down, I am not too concerned about the fight he has, and they have with him.